Author Topic: SafeLager W-34/70 Question  (Read 4562 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: SafeLager W-34/70 Question
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 06:58:33 pm »
I wonder why we have such a variety of results.  Some see long lag times, others don't, uwwong the same procedures.  What do you suppose makes the difference?

That's an excellent question.  I was wondering the same thing.  I attribute the difference to the water perhaps or possibly the wort composition???  Great question.  Ill be watching the responses.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:31 pm »
Do the ones getting a long lag use yeast nutrient?  If so, what brand, how much, and when is it added?

I used to get long lags but I began pitching more yeast and using yeast nutrient. The OP pitched plenty of yeast...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 08:12:35 pm »
Do the ones getting a long lag use yeast nutrient?  If so, what brand, how much, and when is it added?

I used to get long lags but I began pitching more yeast and using yeast nutrient. The OP pitched plenty of yeast...

I still use 1 pack unrehydrated for 5.5 gal. up to 1.060 OG.  I try to use yeast nutrient, but I occasionally forget and it doesn't really seem to make much difference, at least in lag
 time. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:04 pm »

I never use yeast nutrient. All the nutrients that your yeast need should be in a properly done mash. That is, in mine, RO water that has had all of the required salts and the use of fresh ingredients.

Offline BrewBama

SafeLager W-34/70 Question
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 09:21:39 pm »
Zinc can be deficient even in all-malt worts, because most of it tends to be lost during lautering. Extra zinc can be added in mineral form (ZnSO4 or ZnCl2), or it can be incorporated in a nutritional product.

To get around the law, German brewers would incorporate zinc plumbing fittings in their breweries, or add zinc chains to the rakes or simply add live yeast to the boil kettle.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:36:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:21 pm »

I never use yeast nutrient. All the nutrients that your yeast need should be in a properly done mash. That is, in mine, RO water that has had all of the required salts and the use of fresh ingredients.

Using yeast nutrient can be a help if you reuse your yeast.  But I agree it's not crucial.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 09:50:37 pm »
From the Fermentis website...and they state no nutrients needed:

Fermentation starts immediately, but significant CO2 release and aroma formation will only be perceptible after 12 to 24 hours for ale yeasts and 16 to 32 hours for lager yeasts.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:42:49 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 10:07:21 pm »
Zinc can be deficient even in all-malt worts, because most of it tends to be lost during lautering. Extra zinc can be added in mineral form (ZnSO4 or ZnCl2), or it can be incorporated in a nutritional product.

To get around the law, German brewers would incorporate zinc plumbing fittings in their breweries, or add zinc chains to the rakes or simply add live yeast to the boil kettle.

At a family brewery in Niederbayern, the brewer had gotten yeast from his buddy a couple of towns over that brews more often. It was a big tub of yeast. Looking at pictures last year, I did a double take, it was galvanized, i.e. zinc coated. There are ways around the BHG.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 11:22:53 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 11:33:00 pm »
Do people aerate with dry yeast?  In theory you don't need to, but regardless of how the beer turns out it could change the lag time.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 11:34:14 pm »
I can't envision why yeast nutrient would aid lag time. In that early stage, yeast are just acclimating and not actually reproducing in great number or exhausting their internal nutrient stores.

With regard to zinc, many raw water supplies have zinc in them. But if you're using RO water, any zinc that might have been in the water is gone due to the RO process. Adding zinc is an important necessity when brewing with RO water. Eventually, your yeast will run out of zinc and this ferment or future reuses will suffer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 01:32:12 am »
I can't envision why yeast nutrient would aid lag time. In that early stage, yeast are just acclimating and not actually reproducing in great number or exhausting their internal nutrient stores.

With regard to zinc, many raw water supplies have zinc in them. But if you're using RO water, any zinc that might have been in the water is gone due to the RO process. Adding zinc is an important necessity when brewing with RO water. Eventually, your yeast will run out of zinc and this ferment or future reuses will suffer.

+1 Martin.  I use zinc nutrient, because I serially repitch and brew with RO and add back minimal salts in my lagers.  Somewhere (Dr. Bamforth maybe?) I read or heard that zinc was helpful, so I just always add it as my last ingredient in the boil.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

SafeLager W-34/70 Question
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 01:37:58 am »
Well, while I realize it’s anecdotal, all I know is I get faster starts, more vigorous fermentations, and faster complete finishes with nutrient. 

I found it is more advantageous to add it to the FV vs the kettle. I didn’t understand why but I’ve read the nutrients get bound in the trüb and I like to transfer clear wort from kettle to FV.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:42:44 am by BrewBama »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 12:55:06 pm »

I agree 100%.

Nutrients are not always necessary according to Chris White in his book about yeast.  However, as I recall, and I’m paraphrasing here, he says using nutrients will not hurt and it’s better to be safe than sorry.  So, I add 1/2 tsp of nutrient in the final 15 minutes of the boil with every batch.  The product I use is made my White Labs.  I figure: why not?  Now, maybe Chris made this statement to sell more nutrient.....maybe???  ::)
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 12:55:20 pm »
.........I like to transfer clear wort from kettle to FV.

Me too. But many here claim it makes no difference, clear or muddy/cloudy.