Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NEIPA Hotside/Whirlpool Hop Help  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Carson B

• Cellarman
NEIPA Hotside/Whirlpool Hop Help
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »
I'm looking for some help on a better hop schedule in my NEIPAs to increase flavor. I've settled on a dry-hopping routine (cryo in the keg) that seems to provide a nice aroma, but my beers have frankly been lacking in taste. Trying to get that hop-saturated feel you get in so many commercial examples.

I'm brewing a 3-gallon NEIPA in the next few weeks and am planning 100% whirlpool hops. At the moment, I'm thinking about a 1oz/gallon rate at about 150 degrees for 30ish minutes.

Just looking for critiques/suggestions on this plan and more generally how to get that awesome hop flavor in these NEIPAs.

Cheers

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: NEIPA Hotside/Whirlpool Hop Help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 08:17:25 am »
If you are not doing any boil hops then I suggest adding your whirlpool hops at 180-190F to develop some IBUs. 

narvin

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 08:26:53 am »
Do you do any dry hopping during primary fermentation?  I'd also recommend spunding since I've found that the fresh hop flavor fades so quickly in a NEIPA due to oxidation.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:15:40 am »
I do a hop addition at 15 min left in boil. Begin chill, then additions at 180, hold for 20 min, 150, hold for 20, 130, hold for 20.  Post pitch additions at 24 hours and 48 hours.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 11:54:51 am »
I stick with a 30-40 min whirlpool at 170 degrees.  I've been happy with how things have turned out though I have not experimented to know if other temps/times are better.  I just went with the process in the Juicy Bits clone from BeerandBrewing.com and haven't looked back.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 01:48:15 pm »
I do a 20 minute whirlpool starting at 185.  Currently not doing much to hold that temp, other than a couple of towels on top.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 02:09:20 pm »
Anybody tried a low whirlpool temp?  I accidentally got the temp down to 120 for a whirlpool addition once and liked the results so well I've done it several more times since then.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:24:01 am »
Anybody tried a low whirlpool temp?  I accidentally got the temp down to 120 for a whirlpool addition once and liked the results so well I've done it several more times since then.

I've done 140 quite a bit.  Been trying the 185 after reading Scott Janish's book.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 11:24:48 am »
My recipes say to add steep/whirlpool additions at 175*F but I never hit 175*F. It’s usually more like mid to high 150(s)*F. I guess I could recirculate thru the RIMS while steeping but at that point in the brewday the RIMS is already disassembled and cleaned along with associated plumbing. So... close enough. ...and like others: I like the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk