Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sticke Alt  (Read 2912 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Sticke Alt
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 05:19:15 pm »
Nailing an Alt is like nailing a Kolsch. It can't be done since there are many variants.

I've tried making an Alt with a very high percentage of Pils, but I found it to be lacking the maltiness that I prefer. I used Best Pils in that version. But I find that a decent percentage of Munich malt is a more satisfying Alt to ME. Your preference my differ. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 05:25:33 pm »
Nailing an Alt is like nailing a Kolsch. It can't be done since there are many variants.

I've tried making an Alt with a very high percentage of Pils, but I found it to be lacking the maltiness that I prefer. I used Best Pils in that version. But I find that a decent percentage of Munich malt is a more satisfying Alt to ME. Your preference my differ.

how much would you consider a decent percentage?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »
If M54 is really K-97, it should turn out well.  I haven't used M54 yet to know for sure.  But I know K-97 well.  It's pretty clean for an ale except for the sulfur.
In my opinion, M54 probably isn’t the same strain as K97. I say that because I thought M54 cleared really easily but K97 was more powdery and took longer.  ...but who knows

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 08:02:15 pm »
If M54 is really K-97, it should turn out well.  I haven't used M54 yet to know for sure.  But I know K-97 well.  It's pretty clean for an ale except for the sulfur.
In my opinion, M54 probably isn’t the same strain as K97. I say that because I thought M54 cleared really easily but K97 was more powdery and took longer.  ...but who knows

You're likely correct.  I'm interested to try M54 anyway eventually to try to figure out what else it might be.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 08:07:35 pm »
I’ve read M54 is repackaged/rebranded Mauribrew Lager 497. But that is pure speculation I am sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 08:11:15 pm »
I’ve read M54 is repackaged/rebranded Mauribrew Lager 497. But that is pure speculation I am sure.

On that, yes, I believe that is correct with about 90% certainty.  It's just whether these two are equivalent to K-97... that I don't know for certain.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 08:01:20 am »

Yep.  I differentiate between when I make an Amrican alt or a more German style alt.  The American style has a lot of Munich.  The German style has little to none.  Is it accurate?  I dunno, but I like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 08:02:11 am »

For me and my "American" alt, it's 50-90 %

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:40 am »

For me and my "American" alt, it's 50-90 %

Yeah I will consider that. I might like that better as well. It will kind of depend on how much I have on hand as I prepare for the end of the world.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:17:01 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 04:35:08 pm »
When I brew my Sticke Alt, I exclusively use Spalt hops for flavor and aroma. It has always come out great. The Spalt gives it a very unique flavor and a bit more traditional from what I understand.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 04:42:03 pm »
When I brew my Sticke Alt, I exclusively use Spalt hops for flavor and aroma. It has always come out great. The Spalt gives it a very unique flavor and a bit more traditional from what I understand.

Yep. That would be my first choice. Would you be willing to share any details of your recipe?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:50:27 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 08:23:58 am »

I love Spalt, but can't always find them.  I've had great results with various Hallertau varieties, as well as Mt. Hood.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 08:34:49 am »

I love Spalt, but can't always find them.  I've had great results with various Hallertau varieties, as well as Mt. Hood.

Yeah going with what I have on hand. Sensible options include Hallertau Mitt, Saaz, Sterling

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:47 am »

Yep. That would be my first choice. Would you be willing to share any details of your recipe?

This is the recipe I've used most often (I've tried a few variations). I prefer to use all Spalt hops when I can, but sometimes I can't get enough in which case I've bittered with Saaz instead. Around 70%-75% efficiency so it's usually around 1.061 for a final 5.8-6.0 abv. I've never had a problem finding Spalt hops here in the Seattle area (though not always 7 oz's of it) but they're usually a really low alpha like 2.5%. This is for 40 ibu's using a 2.5% alpha. After writing this one up, I think I'll need to brew this again soon. Quarantining makes for plenty of brew time.

9 lb - Pilsner
3.5 lb - Munich Light
8 oz - CaraMunich II
6 oz - CaraRed
3 oz - CaraAroma
3 oz - Chocolate Wheat

90 minute boil
5 oz - Spalt (2.5%) - 60 minutes
1 oz - Spalt (2.5%) - 15 minutes
1 oz - Spalt (2.5%) - 0 minutes (whirlpool)

White Labs WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Yeast

Happy brewing whichever way you decide to go!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 12:06:37 pm »
Thanks so much for sharing. Looks great! I am going to shoot for something slightly bigger at 1.067 but could easily apply a lot of your particulars. Probably going to shoot for something closer to 50 IBUs

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:09:27 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »