Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Switching to bucket fermentation from carboy  (Read 4738 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Switching to bucket fermentation from carboy
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 08:25:28 am »
This is why I now dry hop in the SS fermenter and keg everything from the fermenter.  Glass carboys are very nice and easy top clean, but they can also be very dangerous.

Actually, I never found carboys easy to clean at all. Whether plastic or glass, the small opening always made it a PITA for me.  Even if I soaked everything off, just filling and emptying them was more difficult than other form factors.
Same here. I used the glass carboy that came with my first kit exactly once. I used a few 3 gallon Better Bottles for bulk aging of meads and sours, but buckets were my go-to until I started fermenting in kegs. But even the Better Bottles with larger openings were a PITA to clean.

The only ones I have a bit more trouble with are the 6.5 gallon ones.  The 5 gallon ones are pretty easy for me to clean using dairy cleaner and a carboy brush that i reformed to get to the hard to reach places near the neck (I also added electrical tape around the wire handle to keep from scratching the glass in he neck).  I can usually clean a 5 gallon one in a few minutes.  For the 6.5 gallon ones, which I rarely use, a bit more reforming of the brush gets the job done, although a lot more slowly.

Since I have both a half barrel and 7 gallon SS Brewtech fermenters, I don't really have to play with glass carboys that much anymore.

Sure, but compare that to wiping a bucket out with a sponge.

OK, I'll give you that one, Denny!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified