Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steeping grains?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline BigShip17

• 1st Kit
Steeping grains?
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:05:01 am »
So... Brand new here. Most of my brews have been extract. I wanted to experiment with partial mash so in my last brew I steeped some crushed Briess Full Pint and Gambrinus Honey malt in a grain bag for 15 mins as I worked toward my boil for LME addition. I realized later those are not the right grains for steeping and should have actually been mashed. I got experimental without reading enough. I should have done Crystal Malt or something more suited for steeping,correct? My big question is, did I ruin my brew? I tasted it recently after dry hopping for a week. It seems ok. It's got fruity notes ,but nothing outstanding weirdness wise  Any insight here? I have brewed 4 times now. Very green but want to learn. Thanks!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Steeping grains?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:13:34 am »
Your beer should be fine.

Depending on the temps while you had the grain steeping you probably did a very small partial mash.  You likely got some flavor and maybe some sugars.  Nothing bad though.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:51:41 am »
Your beer should be fine.

Depending on the temps while you had the grain steeping you probably did a very small partial mash.  You likely got some flavor and maybe some sugars.  Nothing bad though.

Paul

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:01:19 pm »
In the words of Charlie Papazian... Don't worry, have a homebrew. LOL. It's all a learning experience and you just learned something.

Offline Milx

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 01:43:34 pm »
Golden rule of brewing: if it tastes fine, it's fine. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't encountered them yet!

Don't worry too much, you just bulked up your beer with a bit more body.