Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?
« on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:34 am »
Originally I was thinking of S-23 here, but I'm aware that Denny has not ever had success with it, and even goes as far as saying it is the worst yeast he has ever used (4 times as I recall), so now I'm thinking of S-189.  I think that W-34/70 is likely to be a bit too clean for the style.  Any other suggestions? 

NOTE:  None of the LHBS companies near me (which means within ~50 miles one way) carry Mangrove Jack yeasts.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:20:01 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:21:38 am »
Originally I was thinking of S-23 here, but I'm aware that Denny has not ever had success with it, and even goes as far as saying it is the worst yeast he has ever used (4 times as I recall), so now I'm thinking of S-189.  I think that W-34/70 is likely to be a bit too clean for the style.  Any other suggestions? 

NOTE:  None of the LHBS companies near me (which means within ~50 miles one way) carry Mangrove Jack yeasts.

Just to balance things a bit, I know of people who say that it worked great for them.  Maybe it just doesn't like me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:30:35 am »
How about Wyeast? Czech Pils, 2278 or 2124 would be good.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:49:10 am »
In the past I've exclusively used WY2001 for this style, but in my retirement years I'm trying to simplify things, and I'd like to see how well a dry lager yeast will perform.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:06:48 am »
S-189 is the best dried yeast I have tried so far.  I like it better than W-34/70.  I found S-189 to add a certain slight sweetness.  In future I might mash longer to try to balance this out.  But it is squeaky clean, lets all the malt shine through loud and clear, at least at cold ~50 F temperature.

I still want to try S-23 sometime, just to see what it does.  Haven't tried it yet.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:07:19 am »
In the past I've exclusively used WY2001 for this style, but in my retirement years I'm trying to simplify things, and I'd like to see how well a dry lager yeast will perform.

As has been mentioned, I've liked the results I've gotten with Lallemand Diamond Lager.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:33 am »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 12:08:11 pm »
But it is squeaky clean, lets all the malt shine through loud and clear, at least at cold ~50 F temperature.

That is how I describe 34/70...very clean and neutral, letting the malt shine through. Maybe I'm wrong?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 12:36:21 pm »
But it is squeaky clean, lets all the malt shine through loud and clear, at least at cold ~50 F temperature.

That is how I describe 34/70...very clean and neutral, letting the malt shine through. Maybe I'm wrong?

You're not wrong for you.  There can be differences in taste perception due to physiology, culture, experience and other things.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 02:43:42 pm »

You're not wrong for you.  There can be differences in taste perception due to physiology, culture, experience and other things.

Thousands of variables.  I remember initially enjoying W-34/70.  I just didn't like the way it aged after a few months.  But that was likely my own fault, oxidation or whatever.  I should give it another try sometime soon.  And/or Diamond which I think is approximately the same thing.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 04:56:30 pm »
S-189 is the best dried yeast I have tried so far.  I like it better than W-34/70.  I found S-189 to add a certain slight sweetness.  In future I might mash longer to try to balance this out.  But it is squeaky clean, lets all the malt shine through loud and clear, at least at cold ~50 F temperature.

I still want to try S-23 sometime, just to see what it does.  Haven't tried it yet.
Couldn’t agree more. Man 34/70 has let me down every time I’ve used it. It has been a long time since I’ve used dry. My beers are not as good, probably just me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:31:53 pm »

Couldn’t agree more. Man 34/70 has let me down every time I’ve used it. It has been a long time since I’ve used dry. My beers are not as good, probably just me. 

Our experience is quite different. Other than a long lag time (36 hours), this yeast has proven to be very good. A clean and neutral flavor profile. No diacetyl, sulpher, or other off flavors at all.

TXFlyGuy

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 07:30:34 pm »
Here is some good reading that may surprise some of us...

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

Doesn’t surprise me. They also couldn’t reliably distinguish a difference between s-23 and 34/70. What are we supposed to conclude? To me it says use 34/70 if you have tried the others and like it best.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/19/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-23-exbeeriment-results/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:35:09 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 07:39:41 pm »
Here is some good reading that may surprise some of us...

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

They also couldn’t reliably distinguish a difference between s-23 and 34/70. What are we supposed to conclude?

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/19/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-23-exbeeriment-results/

Some folks are experienced tasters and some are not.  I am trained and realize a lot of my shortcomings.  Even so, I may be unable to reliably distinguish between two dry lager yeasts.  But I can say I have had questionable results with M84 Bohemian.  Maybe it is just a couple data points and the packets were not properly cared for before I received them, I just don’t know.  YMMV, cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"