Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Active Dry Yeast  (Read 1035 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Active Dry Yeast
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:10:34 am »
Well, I read this article on the AHA website concerning active dry yeast. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/demystifying-active-dry-yeast/

I was astonished to read “Although the first yeast biomass culture was dried back in the early 1970s for the baking industry, ale brewing yeast was not dried until the 1995, and lager yeast until 1996!”

I began thinking, no wonder dry yeast has such a bad reputation in the brewing industry, they were selling bread yeast before the early 90(s).

This stigma has been hard to live down even though the article says “Since the late 90’s ADY has come a long way and the industry agrees that ADY today has a state-of-the-art quality...”

Anyway, good article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Active Dry Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 08:15:18 am »
Well, I read this article on the AHA website concerning active dry yeast. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/demystifying-active-dry-yeast/

I was astonished to read “Although the first yeast biomass culture was dried back in the early 1970s for the baking industry, ale brewing yeast was not dried until the 1995, and lager yeast until 1996!”

I began thinking, no wonder dry yeast has such a bad reputation in the brewing industry, they were selling bread yeast before the early 90(s).

This stigma has been hard to live down even though the article says “Since the late 90’s ADY has come a long way and the industry agrees that ADY today has a state-of-the-art quality...”

Anyway, good article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice article. Though it seems Lallemand and Mangrove Jack’s are coming out with new ADY strains faster than Fermentis.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
Re: Active Dry Yeast
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:42:49 pm »
I looked through my old recipe book and I used Whitbread Ale yeast a lot prior to 1995.  I’ve got a recipe for a bitter using Notty from 1995.  Also Edme, Redstar, Yeastlab, all before or in 95.  My first Wyeast smackpack was 95 too.