Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?  (Read 12568 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Best dry yeast for the Bohemian or Czech Pilsner style?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 07:55:39 pm »
Here is some good reading that may surprise some of us...

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

They also couldn’t reliably distinguish a difference between s-23 and 34/70. What are we supposed to conclude?

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/19/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-23-exbeeriment-results/

Some folks are experienced tasters and some are not.  I am trained and realize a lot of my shortcomings.  Even so, I may be unable to reliably distinguish between two dry lager yeasts.  But I can say I have had questionable results with M84 Bohemian.  Maybe it is just a couple data points and the packets were not properly cared for before I received them, I just don’t know.  YMMV, cheers!

M84 = S-23 which is one of the least liked lager yeasts (although I still say I'm gonna try it sometime).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 06:03:14 am »

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/15/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-189-exbeeriment-results/

What are we supposed to conclude? 

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/19/yeast-comparison-saflager-w-3470-vs-saflager-s-23-exbeeriment-results/

The results are that both experienced and non-experienced beer tasters could not reliably identify the different samples. I would bet that applies to the population at large.

The surprising thing to me is the brewer could not distinguish between the samples after proper aging.

From Fermentis: W-34/70, this famous brewer’s yeast strain from Weihenstephan in Germany is used world-wide within the brewing industry.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:06:27 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 06:21:39 am »
It's time I asked this.  Has anyone on this forum used S-23 yeast and gotten wholly satisfying results from it?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 06:48:50 am »
I’ve only read of one who used S-23 and was happy but it was not from this forum. She was from HBT in the warm lager thread. If I recall correctly she took it to several generations and was pleased with it.

When the mfr puts it in the ‘fruity’ category in a venn diagram of its yeasts, I’ll believe them (and not use it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 07:16:08 am »

What are we supposed to conclude? 

The results are that both experienced and non-experienced beer tasters could not reliably identify the different samples. I would bet that applies to the population at large.

The surprising thing to me is the brewer could not distinguish between the samples after proper aging.

From Fermentis: W-34/70, this famous brewer’s yeast strain from Weihenstephan in Germany is used world-wide within the brewing industry.

So it doesn't matter which strain we use if the end results are the same according to Brulosophy? Like others have said numerous times, it's one data point...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:01:22 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:05 am »

In a single trial.  Anyone else's results are equally valid.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 09:32:26 am »

In a single trial.  Anyone else's results are equally valid.

Or, equally invalid! Never done a blind trio taste test myself.

But it is surprising to learn that in nearly every taste test at Brulosophy, less than 50% can accurately pick the sample.

It can be a challenge, as I failed back to back taste tests of Heineken. Comparing the beer we purchased in Amsterdam (hyper fresh), to beer bought locally off the store shelf here in Texas. Yes, there is a difference.

And I consider myself very educated on taste, flavor profiles, etc.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 09:39:12 am »
Is there a possibility that this yeast enhances fruity characters in the presence of certain compounds and not others?  Maybe certain noble hops normally associated with the beers this yeast would be used in don’t have the compounds other hops do. ...or certain water minerals, or maybe a process of some sort kicks in the fruit factor. Or maybe it’s individual based.

I find it interesting that some don’t get the results others do. There must be a variable.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 09:49:59 am »
Is there a possibility that this yeast enhances fruity characters in the presence of certain compounds and not others?  Maybe certain noble hops normally associated with the beers this yeast would be used in don’t have the compounds other hops do. ...or certain water minerals, or maybe a process of some sort kicks in the fruit factor. Or maybe it’s individual based.

I find it interesting that some don’t get the results others do. There must be a variable.

Based on my observation of perception and confirmation bias over the last 20 years, I think it's based on individuals.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 11:57:08 am »
It's time I asked this.  Has anyone on this forum used S-23 yeast and gotten wholly satisfying results from it?
I was making a "British Blonde" once and I harvested the english yeast (1028 or something) prior to brewday and noticed that something funky occurred with that previous batch and the 1028 was no longer an option.  I had S-23 as the only dry yeast in the house and so I made an English Lager  :P  What I ended up with was a delicious batch of beer.  This was years ago and I don't remember much but the batch was not disappointing in any way.

On the topic of S-189... it's a nice yeast but I find it quite boring.  I like yeast strains that contribute some nice bready notes to the beer and I got that from the Lallemand Diamond (and some say they get it from 34/70) but not S-189.  It may just be that there *IS* no dry Czech-style yeast out there.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 12:01:56 pm »
As mentioned Mangrove Jack MJ84 is named Bohemian Lager. I had good results the one time I used it however I prefer higher attenuation. According to Dave, it is repackaged S-23. Take that for what it's worth.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 12:15:57 pm »

I'm going to say yes. We brewed up a double batch, two different yeasts. One yeast accents the hop bitterness, the other yeast subdues the bitterness. Same exact beer, just different yeast.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 12:19:33 pm »

Chumley once sent me some of my BVIP recipe that he'd made with S-23.  It was great.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 03:18:06 pm »
I emailed Fermentis and asked their opinion as to which of their yeasts is considered most appropriate for Czech (Bohemian) Pilsner, and their reply was S-23.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 04:26:35 pm »
Annie Johnson past AHA Homebrewer of the Year said on an interview right after winning that award that she used it a lot.  She’s know for light lagers.

Time 58:45.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post2143/