Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calculating Beer ABV w. Booze Additions  (Read 815 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Calculating Beer ABV w. Booze Additions
« on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:28 am »
My thinking is that if I add a spirit (tequila, rum, maybe both  :)...etc.) to a finished beer at packaging, the new ABV would be a balancing equation of volumes and ABV's:
(Vol1*ABV1 + Vol2*ABV2 +Vol3*ABV3 etc.) / (Vol1+Vol2+Vol3 etc.)

Or is there more to it than that?  And if there is more to it than that is it really worth the extra effort in figuring it out?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Calculating Beer ABV w. Booze Additions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:02:11 am »
Your equation should work fine. There could be subtle changes in volume when mixing, but the equation will be close enough.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:07:57 am »
I think it should be as simple as a weighted average calculation. I added 4 oz of rum to a smaller batch and it bumped up the ABV by 0.2% according to weighted average.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:29:22 am »
I think it should be as simple as a weighted average calculation. I added 4 oz of rum to a smaller batch and it bumped up the ABV by 0.2% according to weighted average.

Weighted Average!  Yes, that's what they call it!  I think that's what my equation represents, but I'm way too far removed from algebra to remember the proper terminology.  :(

Thanks all.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 11:14:05 am »

Weighted Average!  Yes, that's what they call it!  I think that's what my equation represents, but I'm way too far removed from algebra to remember the proper terminology.  :(

Thanks all.

I hear ya. I couldn't remember either although it seemed so simple. I'm sure I'll forget next time I go to do it...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale