Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kill that virus  (Read 1704 times)

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Kill that virus
« on: March 18, 2020, 05:52:49 pm »
Anybody know if Starsan is effective against corona?  I assume Iodophor will kill it.  I need something I can use on surfaces at the office.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Kill that virus
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 06:02:12 pm »
Anybody know if Starsan is effective against corona?  I assume Iodophor will kill it.  I need something I can use on surfaces at the office.
I found a link to this article in the homebrewing subreddit. Short answer is, no starsan is not effective against covid-19.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 06:37:44 pm »
No, it's just not making claims that it works against "Emerging Viral Pathogens AND Human Coronavirus".

The best thing against this virus is soap or detergent - it's a ball of fat so you want to degrease it. Even quite mild acid (like vinegar diluted in hot water) has an effect against viruses like flu. Since Starsan has both detergent and acid it should work OK - but isn't as cheap as just simple washing up liquid.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:11 pm »
Ok, I'll agree with that. However, proper testing is important to understand its effectiveness against this virus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 05:46:52 am »
You're completely right to be cautious, but there's little evidence to say that this one is different to other coronaviruses like its close relative SARS - soap or detergent is best but even ordinary malt vinegar (5%-ish of acetic acid) will work reasonably well against viruses, even when diluted 1:10 in hot water - see

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0008987&type=printable

A squirt of washing-up liquid in it will make vinegar even more effective.

It's also worth emphasising that the first line of defence is just keeping surfaces clean, which in itself will remove 99% of viruses - "disinfectants" should be about knocking out 99% of what's left after cleaning. Part of the problem with skin, which is why you get this 20-second suggestion, is that viruses a)stick quite well to it and b) they get caught in the wrinkles, which is obviously more of a problem when you're older. Botox will make your hands easier to sanitise!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:33:58 am »
From what I have  read, you need at lease a solution that has 60% alcohol to destroy the virus.  Use a spray bottle with ethyl or isopropyl  rubbing alcoho to sanitize your hands after washing with soap and water.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 09:16:15 am »
I ordered a bottle of QA from Craftmeister.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:23:06 am »
From what I have  read, you need at lease a solution that has 60% alcohol to destroy the virus.  Use a spray bottle with ethyl or isopropyl  rubbing alcoho to sanitize your hands after washing with soap and water.

Soap will destroy these viruses. The outer layer is lipids, soap dissolves that just like fat or grease, and the virus falls apart. The 20 seconds washing time is enough contact time.

Other types of viruses have an outer protein layer, so soap is not effective. Rhinovirus falls into that category, for example.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:30:57 am »
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqkyw/copper-destroys-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere

This was an interesting reminder of the antimicrobial properties of copper, maybe we'll see a big resurgence in copper cookware, countertops, etc?

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 11:11:45 am »
I would add that colliodal copper and silver would kill it as well as oregano oil mixed into water.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:20 pm »
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqkyw/copper-destroys-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere

This was an interesting reminder of the antimicrobial properties of copper, maybe we'll see a big resurgence in copper cookware, countertops, etc?

I have been wearing a suit of copper for months and so far no coronavirus.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing