Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer Chinook  (Read 1501 times)

Offline KCBrew

• 1st Kit
Northern Brewer Chinook
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:49:41 am »
Hi,
Getting ready for my second official brew, using NB's "Chinook." I got a chance to taste a batch made by a friend (way more experienced at this than I am), and it was disappointing, to say the least. Checked it out on YouTube, and it seems to be the general consensus. So, here's my question:
What can I add to "up" the flavor profile, and is all homebrew destined to have a small head of foam? Will Kegging change that?
Thanks,
KCBrew

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Northern Brewer Chinook
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:12:02 am »
Without knowing what style of beer you're brewing, what the grain bill consists of and what IBU you're looking for, its too difficult to recommend any changes.

Regarding the head retention, the answer is No.  Beer foam consists of a balance of proteins, hop residue and CO2.  The head retention (foam) will be limited without all three of these compounds.  Generally speaking, low head retention is from a lack of proteins and that can be overcome simply by adding 1/2 lb. of Carafoam malt to the grain bill for a 5 gallon batch.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 02:30:30 pm »
Is this the recipe for ‘Chinook’ you are referring to?

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 10-lbs-Rahr-2-row-Pale-
-- 0.75-lbs.-Belgian-Cara-8-
-- 0.25-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-120-

-- 0.75-oz.-Chinook-(60-min)-
-- 0.5-oz.-Chinook-(10-min)-
-- 0.5-oz.-Chinook-(1-min)-
-- DRY HOPS 1-oz.-Chinook-–-add-to-secondary-fermenter- one-week-before-bottling-day-

If so, I imagine you could just add more boil hops if you’re looking for more bitterness. .25 oz more at each boil addition will pick it up.

If you’re looking for a different hop flavor you’ll have to decide what you’re looking for and replace the Chinook with your 10 and 1 minute hops.  ...or add them in addition to the Chinook hops. Here is an article with some ideas: https://learn.kegerator.com/chinook-hops/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 02:48:33 pm »

MASH INGREDIENTS

-- DRY HOPS 1-oz.-Chinook-–-add-to-secondary-fermenter- one-week-before-bottling-day-

If so, I imagine you could just add more boil hops if you’re looking for more bitterness. .25 oz more at each boil addition will pick it up.

If you’re looking for a different hop flavor you’ll have to decide what you’re looking for and replace the Chinook with your 10 and 1 minute hops.  ...or add them in addition to the Chinook hops. Here is an article with some ideas: https://learn.kegerator.com/chinook-hops/

I purchased that kit years ago. It’s awesome. Chinook gives a mix of pine and citrus to aroma and flavor. Bitterness was significant but not too much relative to other IPAs.

I liked it a lot and then scaled it down to hoppy Blonde which I brewed several times.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:58:12 pm »

MASH INGREDIENTS

I purchased that kit years ago. It’s awesome. Chinook gives a mix of pine and citrus to aroma and flavor. Bitterness was significant but not too much relative to other IPAs.

I liked it a lot and then scaled it down to hoppy Blonde which I brewed several times.

PNW Chinook gives you pine and citrus.  MI Chinook gives you pineapple.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 06:48:14 pm »

MASH INGREDIENTS

Interesting. I only buy hops from Hop Heaven now.  I am pretty sure the descriptions on the eBay site tell you the taste of the lot your buying from. Pineapple wouldn’t kill me but that would be quite the surprise if I was expecting pine and citrus.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 07:27:03 pm »

MASH INGREDIENTS

I second that. There can be a little pine in the background, but pineapple is way in the foreground.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 11:45:45 pm »

MASH INGREDIENTS

Looking at that recipe, I think I would buy 2 oz of another hop -- say Cascade, and swap and do 1 oz cascade at 10 mins, then one oz chinook and 1 oz cascade at flameout, instead of 1 min.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:24 am »

MASH INGREDIENTS

Interesting. I only buy hops from Hop Heaven now.  I am pretty sure the descriptions on the eBay site tell you the taste of the lot your buying from. Pineapple wouldn’t kill me but that would be quite the surprise if I was expecting pine and citrus.

Terroir makes almost as much difference as variety.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:21:37 am »

MASH INGREDIENTS

Looking at that recipe, I think I would buy 2 oz of another hop -- say Cascade, and swap and do 1 oz cascade at 10 mins, then one oz chinook and 1 oz cascade at flameout, instead of 1 min.

You could also use Amarillo for the late additions.  It adds some orange flavor.  Just my .02.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline AngusLB

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 02:19:22 pm »
When I first started brewing it opened up a whole new world. When I’d go to a brew pub and liked a particular beer I’d ask what hops were used And when. Most brewers will answer questions. After a while you start to figure out your personal preferences. So  I brew some beers when hosting a party for friends trying to please the majority. I brew others just for me.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 05:06:30 am »

And yeast - ferment Chinook with say T-58 and it comes out limey rather than the usual grapefruit.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 04:38:49 pm »

And yeast - ferment Chinook with say T-58 and it comes out limey rather than the usual grapefruit.

Ah, but which Chinook?   ;)

www.dennybrew.com