Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where can I buy Czech Spalt 3%?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
Where can I buy Czech Spalt 3%?
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:18:22 pm »
I live in the SF Bay Area. I have two local homebrew shops and neither has Czech Spalt. Neither do the other two that are an hour away.  I am doing a clone recipe and don't want to substitute Saaz or Tettnanger.

Any thoughts on a mail order house that carries it?  I only need 1 oz.

Thanks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Where can I buy Czech Spalt 3%?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
More Beer has German Spalt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:27:42 pm »
More Beer isn't answering their phones in Concord, CA and the person that answers emails doesn't appear to know much about ingredients.  I already asked and the response was "I've never heard of that."

P.S. They do show German Spalt on their website but says out of stock.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:30:44 pm by hennesseystealth »

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:03:33 pm »
You can get Splat from morebeer.com

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:05:28 pm »
You can get Splat from morebeer.com

They don't have Czech and German is out of stock.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:13:11 pm by hennesseystealth »

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 03:52:12 am »
Well Brouwland and BrewUK both have 2019 German, although BrewUK currently seem to be on a 2-week backlog, I suspect Brouwland are coping rather better.

Oh, and a random Google finds 3oz of German left at HomeBrew Ohio on Amazon.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 07:53:40 am »
Ive been using German Spalt for 20 years, but I've never heard of Czech Spalt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 08:00:57 am »
What is the clone recipe?

Spalt and Tettnang are genetically identical to Saaz, per Stan Hieronymus. The differences in the hops comes from terroir.

No Czech Spalt listed here.
http://www.czhops.cz/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=34&Itemid=101&lang=en
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 08:50:08 am »
More Beer isn't answering their phones in Concord, CA and the person that answers emails doesn't appear to know much about ingredients.  I already asked and the response was "I've never heard of that."

That's funny.  I called them the other day to inquire about the availability of EVA barrier beer line and associated connectors (some of the connectors were shown as out of stock on the web site).  I was placed in a phone cue and an associate answered my call after about a 5-7 minute wait.  You might try again unless you can source the hops somewhere else.

To comment on Denny's post, I too have used German Spalt for years but haven't heard of Czech Spalt.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 09:58:01 am »
What is the clone recipe?

Spalt and Tettnang are genetically identical to Saaz, per Stan Hieronymus. The differences in the hops comes from terroir.

No Czech Spalt listed here.
http://www.czhops.cz/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=34&Itemid=101&lang=en

The recipe is for Bohemia:
Cara-Hell (10 degree)
Alexander's pale LME
Muntons extra light DME
Czech Spalt
Tettnanger
Czech SaaS
Irish Moss
Wyeast's 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast

The Czech Spalt is supposed to be less "spicy" than the German Spalt or substituting SaaS or Tettnanger.

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 10:05:19 am »

That's funny.  I called them the other day to inquire about the availability of EVA barrier beer line and associated connectors (some of the connectors were shown as out of stock on the web site).  I was placed in a phone cue and an associate answered my call after about a 5-7 minute wait.  You might try again unless you can source the hops somewhere else.

To comment on Denny's post, I too have used German Spalt for years but haven't heard of Czech Spalt.

I called the Concord, CA store and there is only a phone message saying to order via email and no option to talk to a real person. (925) 771-7107

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 12:18:52 pm »

I called the Concord, CA store and there is only a phone message saying to order via email and no option to talk to a real person. (925) 771-7107

I called the 800 number (800-600-0033)  Which is in Pittsburg, CA.  That must be why I got through.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 11:00:10 am »
Since I couldn't get through to anyone at More Beer, I just drove there since it is next to Costco and needed to make a run anyway.  While their website says out of stock on German Spalt, they did have a couple of packages so I decided to give up on Czech and just go with what is available.

Thanks.