Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry yeast equivalent of Fullers ESB strain  (Read 6248 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry yeast equivalent of Fullers ESB strain
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 02:59:53 pm »
Nobody mentioned Nottingham...but maybe it is not as prevalent as it used to be?

Too clean, and too low in final gravity for an ESB clone in my opinion.  Does express malt flavor much better though, so perhaps it might be worth tossing in a pack of that along side of Windsor or London ESB.  Keep it at 60-62 degrees, which is the same for Windsor, unless you like fermentation volcanos.

I get tartness from Nottingham.  Or at least I did t the time I stopped using it 15 years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 03:02:33 pm »
I like this yeast. I have a Bitter made with this right now. It reminds me a lot of London Pride. The yeast doesn’t flocculate at all. But, I used gelatin and it is crystal clear now.  Lots of malt flavor. The character is very english. The yeast doesn’t attenuate well. My 1053 beer finished at 1020. That was with 4.5% table sugar in the grain bill. But, it’s not sweet at all. It’s actually quite quaffable.

Now I'll have to try the Lallemand London Ale.  I can see another ESB clone attempt in my future.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 03:35:45 pm »
The London ESB yeast will be used with Chevalier malt and invert #3 to dry it out. I will get the sulfate up to about 200 ppm. Some British hops. Hope it tastes British.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 06:53:45 pm »
Is anyone aware of of a dry yeast equivalent of Wyeast 1968 or White labs 002?

None are exactly equivalent, but you can get pretty close with London ESB, S-33, or Mangrove Jack M15.  Windsor isn't far behind either, just lower attenuation.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 07:44:51 am »
If you like decent malt expression, giving W-34/70 a spin at 64-65 degrees F. might not be something to be overlooked.  Mash higher (156-158 F.) if you are going to try W-34/70.

Just be prepared for a loooong lag time, up to 36 hours and more. Ideal temp is listed as 53-59 degrees F. But it will ferment well at 65+.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:48:27 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 02:51:05 am »
Honestly I think the only dry "British" ale yeast is S-04.  There is a Munton's dry ale yeast that I assume is English and I used it many, many times when I was a new brewer but have not used it since.  There was also a dry ale yeast with the brand name of Edme... is that still around?  Same thing... an English dry ale yeast but whether that's Fuller's strain... probably very remote.

None of the homebrew yeasts are like the real Fuller's production yeast - the real thing has an orange-marmalade character that you just don't get in typical homebrew yeasts - except apparently Imperial A09 Pub and maybe the Omega one (OYL-016 ?) But WLP002 and 1968 are not the same as Fuller's yeast. Maybe they did originate there and they've mutated into something blander, maybe they never saw Chiswick in their life, I don't know. You do need a yeast with character for British styles, and 002/1968 are a bit boring.

If you want Fuller's yeast, get it from the source - harvest it from cask or one of their bottle-conditioned beers like 1845 and IPA/Bengal Lancer. And if you want the actual Fuller's recipes direct from the source, see this thread on HBT, there's a homebrew version of ESB in post 42. Note that although I'd say the Fuller's partigyle is definitely at the high-crystal end of the British spectrum, they're only using 7.2% light crystal - nothing like the heavy-handed use of crystal you see in some US recipes for bitter.

EDME should be capitalised, it stands for the English Diastatic Malt Extract Company. They were a major supplier of homebrew kits in the 1970s/80s, but got out of that business in the ?1990s?. So their yeast was popular just because it was easy to get hold of and it appears to be the ancestor of the Munton/S-33/Windsor family, I'd guess the master cultures would probably have ended up at Munton if anybody. One has to assume that Mangrove Jack M15 is a repacked version of one of them. I only know Windsor - it's a classic example of a yeast that drops well but doesn't flocculate, so you can have a clear beer with a yeast cake that puffs up at the slightest disturbance. But it's pretty common here to add a bit of Nottingham or S-04 after 48 hours to help stick it down.

Lallemand London/ESB is apparently from the same multistrain as Windsor and seems to be a blander version of Windsor and a bit pointless in my eyes - a bit like Munich versus Munich Classic only without the option to rebrand it as a wit yeast.

Scarry how close Windsor, S-33, London Ale, and Muntons sit to common bread yeast.  OTOH, Nottingham and S-04 appear among true UK Ale yeasts per Suregork's chart.

They're close to T-58 and BRY-97 as well - what's your point? Yeast doesn't know what it's meant to be for, historically the same yeast would have been used for beer, bread and distilling - in fact beer is a useful way to grow up yeast for use in bread. (I actually have a starter of bread yeast going at the moment, since the hoarders have bought all the yeast in the shops). The fact that one particular strain has become so dominant in US bread is a quirk of history that says more about the commercial structure of the bread industry than its qualities as a bread yeast. I've not had the chance to compare the two but it sounds like the typical US bread yeast is different to the main UK supermarket bread yeast, which actually behaves quite well in beer IME.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 04:10:22 pm »
Nobody mentioned Nottingham...but maybe it is not as prevalent as it used to be?

Too clean, and too low in final gravity for an ESB clone in my opinion.  Does express malt flavor much better though, so perhaps it might be worth tossing in a pack of that along side of Windsor or London ESB.  Keep it at 60-62 degrees, which is the same for Windsor, unless you like fermentation volcanos.

I made an ESB with Nottingham a couple of years ago with wet hops (willamette) and it was pretty good.  I then dropped a barley wine on the yeast cake and I thought that was good too. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 04:20:18 pm »
Scarry how close Windsor, S-33, London Ale, and Muntons sit to common bread yeast.

On the Maker’s Mark Distillery tour, I recall hearing that Bill Samuels would bake bread to determine the ingredients to use for his elixir.  I believe that included yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 04:37:53 am »
I'll be honest, I've tried the Lallemand London ESB strain a few times, and I didn't find it to have the flavor I was looking for. The best I've gotten from dry yeast is Windsor (co-pitched with Nottingham to improve attenuation), but even that's still not as flavorful as my preferred liquid yeasts. I plan on trying the new Lallemand New England in a bitter, since I'm assuming that has English roots, but as of right now if I really want a bitter that checks all the boxes for me it's gotta be WLP002 or WY1469.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2020, 06:28:23 am »
I'll be honest, I've tried the Lallemand London ESB strain a few times, and I didn't find it to have the flavor I was looking for. The best I've gotten from dry yeast is Windsor (co-pitched with Nottingham to improve attenuation), but even that's still not as flavorful as my preferred liquid yeasts. I plan on trying the new Lallemand New England in a bitter, since I'm assuming that has English roots, but as of right now if I really want a bitter that checks all the boxes for me it's gotta be WLP002 or WY1469.
I agree the liquid yeasts are better for English beers.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 09:50:18 am »
I had forgotten about old reliable WLP002.  I recently pitched one pure pitch pack directly into 1.036 wort for a bitter and it was done in 4 days at 62F.  I racked it at 7 days and it had sedimented yeast well packed down and was pretty clear (for a Brit Ordinary Bitter).  Started drinking it after 3 days on the carb at 10 psi - wonderful.  A good running ale to have on hand (as long as it lasts).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"