Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you are at home because of the virus and what are you going to brew?  (Read 5155 times)

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
It's interesting that 34/70 has become so popular. I grabbed several packets when I put in my apocalypse order. It has become my go to for many styles because it's so versatile.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
It's interesting that 34/70 has become so popular. I grabbed several packets when I put in my apocalypse order. It has become my go to for many styles because it's so versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brewed a Zum Uerige inspired altbier today.  Didn’t have anything but 34/70 and S-189, so I went with 34/70 and fermenting it on the cool side for an ale.  Worst case, I’ll have a bitter amber lager, I guess.

i love homebrewed alts, i was thinking of the same thing about the yeasts. i bet 34/70 would make a great amber-near dunkel lager beer

Pretty much any cold tolerant, clean yeast works for alt.  I've had success with 1007, 1056, and 1728, all fermented in the mid 50s.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
I plan to make a starter with 940 this coming week and brew next week.  During the The Great Isolation, I took a brewing ingredient inventory... which malts, how much, which hops, how much, what AA%, which yeasts, their expiration dates, etc.  Yes, I really know how to paint the town red but you can't paint the town red right now anyway!  At least with this inventory I don't have to keep running down to the basement to figure out which hops I have, how much wheat I have, etc.  Cheers brothers. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Made a (2.75 gal batch) Vanilla Porter today that I pitched with a pack of 1450. Date on the pack was Oct. 23, 2019.  Blew up as usual and signs of fermentation (bubbles) started in 5-1/2 hours. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Brewed a Zum Uerige inspired altbier today.  Didn’t have anything but 34/70 and S-189, so I went with 34/70 and fermenting it on the cool side for an ale.  Worst case, I’ll have a bitter amber lager, I guess.

i love homebrewed alts, i was thinking of the same thing about the yeasts. i bet 34/70 would make a great amber-near dunkel lager beer

Pretty much any cold tolerant, clean yeast works for alt.  I've had success with 1007, 1056, and 1728, all fermented in the mid 50s.
1450?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

1450?

Probably.  I've never done it thinking the mouthfeel of 1450 might not work for a crisp work but I think if your grist and mash were adjusted for high fermentability it might work fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
LHBS is still doing curbside pickup and shipping. Putting together an order now. I started going through my inventory and there are going to be some interesting beers! Where the @#$& did I get so much Crystal malt?! I don't use Crystal in anything! But I have a ton of it. And black patent. Sheesh, almost don't wanna waste the base malt on what that's gonna make!

I don't know what kinds of beer you brew, I use at least a small amount of caramel/crystal in almost everything. I don't want to waste my time brewing boring base malt only beers ;).

Like you I had always put some crystal in everything I brewed.  Recently, I brewed a dark mild with base malt, Munich, Chocolate malt, biscuit malt, oatmeal flakes, NO CRYSTAL MALT, and loved it.  At the moment it's my favorite.  Down the road I might find something I like better.  That's the fun of brewing.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!