Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bubbles in draft beer line?  (Read 3410 times)

TXFlyGuy

Re: Bubbles in draft beer line?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 07:31:16 pm »
30 psi for less than 24 hours does it for me.

And you are drinking beer in one day!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 07:40:03 am »
30 psi for 3 days sounds like way too much carbonation. I used to do force carbonation but now I prime my kegs and get better results. But when I did the force carbonation I started at 5 psi and worked my way up to say 20 psi, increasing the pressure every couple of hours. I used a carbonation stone as well and never left it on the gas for more than a day. Now I simply add 5/8 cup of light malt extract dissolved in one cup of water that has been brought to a boil to the keg before siphoning the beer in and then seal it up and forget it for about a week and a half to two weeks. Hardly any sediment and the carbonation is spot on. I would recommend this method to anyone but if you want to do force carbonation you simply have to make sure not to overcarbonate. There is a carbonation table in the book "Brewing Quality Beers" by Byron Burch. An old book but a lot of useful info in it and it can be had for a few bucks on Ebay. Best of luck. Force carbonation is a bit tricky until you get it down.

I have a pro brewer friend that force carbonates using the method you described.  It works well for him.  My problem is that I would forget to go down and change the pressure every day.  In addition, my wife would not want to wait that long for here IPA to be ready!   ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 12:30:40 pm »
30 psi for 3 days sounds like way too much carbonation. I used to do force carbonation but now I prime my kegs and get better results. But when I did the force carbonation I started at 5 psi and worked my way up to say 20 psi, increasing the pressure every couple of hours. I used a carbonation stone as well and never left it on the gas for more than a day. Now I simply add 5/8 cup of light malt extract dissolved in one cup of water that has been brought to a boil to the keg before siphoning the beer in and then seal it up and forget it for about a week and a half to two weeks. Hardly any sediment and the carbonation is spot on. I would recommend this method to anyone but if you want to do force carbonation you simply have to make sure not to overcarbonate. There is a carbonation table in the book "Brewing Quality Beers" by Byron Burch. An old book but a lot of useful info in it and it can be had for a few bucks on Ebay. Best of luck. Force carbonation is a bit tricky until you get it down.

Never tried priming a keg before, always force carbed. What temp do you let the keg rest at with the priming? Can you prime with plain sugar?

I just use room temperature because I am doing ales. In the summertime my apartment was getting too hot so I primed a keg and then stuck it in a friend's basement for 2 weeks. Came out great.