Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fond memory of a beer  (Read 804 times)

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
Fond memory of a beer
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:19:45 am »
Exploring the “pics of you're brews” this morning brought back memory of a beer we made circa 1992.
Back before the digital age was in full swing we brewed an ale with a generous dose of prickly pear fruit. Im talking a 30 pound canvas sack of ripe sweet fruit. At the time our big concern was all the insidious hair needles so, we singed every fruit before physically mashing and straining.
Well, we served it at an anniversary party. Everyone thought it was a red wine when they got a look at it. Looked like Judy Garlands red slippers! Somewhere in my tomb of Charlie Papazian notes is that recipe, Hopefully, someday it will show up in these pics.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fond memory of a beer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:59:19 am »
But how did it TASTE?!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:14:09 am »
But how did it TASTE?!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Honestly, i don't recall a flavor imparted by the fruit. Typically gets brewed out when during the ferment. IIRC the base recipe was a pilsner. Brewed w/ Greer Az. well water. Definitely deserves more exploration.  One of the more labor intensive brews Ive ever done. Any others used the fruit?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:45:07 am »
I've used in a sour.  IIRC, the flavor of the prickly pear was very faint in the beer.  I bought the prickly pear in the store (so no prickles) and peeled it.  I think I then cut it up into big chunks.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 10:44:02 am »
There was that wave of prickly pear beers around 2012 if I am remembering right, especially a lot of prickly pear saisons. I was inspired to do the same. I bought prickly pears and processed them down to the fruit, stuck them in the freezer and forgot about them for a few years. Eventually I made a saison with them and some other ingredients. Turned out a really nice magenta color. Nice earthy fruit flavor which is a nice departure from the usual acidic/citrus/berry/stonefruit fruit flavors in beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing