Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where do you get your stuff  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Re: Where do you get your stuff
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 05:35:23 pm »
I'm lucky to live in beer heaven, also known as Portland, Oregon.  There are numerous good suppliers, but I always go to FH Steinbart.  I brewed my first batch in more than 18 months last weekend because I saw on Steinbart's Facebook page that they are offering free shipping in the Portland area.  I enjoyed it so much that I ordered ingredients for 2 more batches.  So far they are still open and shipping.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 01:13:17 pm »
Wow, I used to get my stuff mail order from them when I first started out back in 1987. Now I use whoever has whatever I need at the right price. Sometimes that means the local shop and sometimes it means other places where I can order online.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:47 pm »
I shop from Adventures In Homebrewing, Love2Brew and Northern Brewer. The grain mill I have is the Cereal Killer from AIH (homebrewing.org), it's about $99 and free shipping.

Cheers!

I also use Adventures in Homebrewing. Have also used Austin Homebrew Supply. It just depends on what each place has and what they are charging for it. AIH had almost everything I needed for an Old Peculiar clone so I got that from them. The only thing they messed up was the milling of the Maris Otter so I had to resort to a rolling pin and a big Ziploc baggie. LOL. But it worked and the beer came out great. And when I told them about the miscue they refunded the money for the grain. Good people. I need to make that batch again.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 08:04:01 am »
If you have the same experience as here in the UK, you want to get on with any purchases - the main online homebrew retailers here have been swamped (along with people selling gardening stuff, fitness equipment, homeworking gear etc) and are no longer taking orders whilst they catch up. But local breweries have spare inventory that is no longer needed for supplying the pub trade so can be a better option, particularly for bulk grains.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
I shop from Adventures In Homebrewing, Love2Brew and Northern Brewer. The grain mill I have is the Cereal Killer from AIH (homebrewing.org), it's about $99 and free shipping.

Cheers!

I also use Adventures in Homebrewing. Have also used Austin Homebrew Supply. It just depends on what each place has and what they are charging for it. AIH had almost everything I needed for an Old Peculiar clone so I got that from them. The only thing they messed up was the milling of the Maris Otter so I had to resort to a rolling pin and a big Ziploc baggie. LOL. But it worked and the beer came out great. And when I told them about the miscue they refunded the money for the grain. Good people. I need to make that batch again.

FYI, AiH bought AHS maybe 5 years back.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Chris C

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 11:56:35 am »
I'm lucky to live in beer heaven, also known as Portland, Oregon.  There are numerous good suppliers, but I always go to FH Steinbart.  I brewed my first batch in more than 18 months last weekend because I saw on Steinbart's Facebook page that they are offering free shipping in the Portland area.  I enjoyed it so much that I ordered ingredients for 2 more batches.  So far they are still open and shipping.

So Jealous!  I'm in Seattle, so you'd figure that I'd have good options locally, but everything is shutting down!

Offline Milx

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 01:01:59 pm »
I usually go to one of the somewhat conveniently-located local places, but lately it's been frustrating that they don't have what I need. At least one of them supports ordering in advance, but I never have my plans together enough to make that viable...usually I just do my best to get a close match, but I've been considering buying online more and more every time I go there and they don't have the yeast or hops I need.

But if I'm ordering online, I'm already planning in advance, so I guess I could just call them and order there instead...

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 08:13:47 am »
Check local brew pubs for discounts on malts.  With social distancing and people not going out, they may have more malt than they need, and will offer it at discounted prices and no shipping charge if you pick it up yourself.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 12:34:14 pm »
Had to laugh at the title of this thread since it is something we might have said in the 70s, early 80s when looking for the other plant in the same family as hops. LOL. Man I'm old.

Offline steppedonapoptop

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 06:47:14 pm »
I have one local shop and am not sure their status but the don’t have a range of ingredients. So my online go-to’s are Morebeer, Midwest, Stubby’s Texas and Northern, not necessarily in that order. I seek free shipping deals. But if I want Mecca Grade then I’m limited to NB or Midwest.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 06:27:14 am »
My LHBS closed so I ordered some yeast and hops from MoreBeer yesterday.  They gave me a 2-week delivery time instead of the normal 2-3 days.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 08:57:19 am »
My LHBS closed so I ordered some yeast and hops from MoreBeer yesterday.  They gave me a 2-week delivery time instead of the normal 2-3 days.

Don't know where you are, I live in Ohio.  I ordered a bag of Crisp Maris Otter yesterday from More Beer and I got an email saying they shipped it today.  I should have it by Thursday at the latest, it's only 1-2 days from Pittsburgh.

The only bad thing is that even using the cheapest shipping method (Fed EX) the shipping cost was almost half the price of the grain, yikes!  Unfortunately, my LHBS doesn't stock it so I had to order online.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 09:38:37 am »

Don't know where you are, I live in Ohio.  I ordered a bag of Crisp Maris Otter yesterday from More Beer and I got an email saying they shipped it today.  I should have it by Thursday at the latest, it's only 1-2 days from Pittsburgh.

The only bad thing is that even using the cheapest shipping method (Fed EX) the shipping cost was almost half the price of the grain, yikes!  Unfortunately, my LHBS doesn't stock it so I had to order online.

I'm in NE PA and although they always say 1 day shipping, I've never gotten anything from them in 1 day.  Usually 2-4 days depending on what day I order.
I ordered Sunday night and my current order status say "In Warehouse, Not Picked".  I'm brewing this weekend and will likely have to adjust on the fly.  Thankfully, I have enough hops and that pack of US-05 that I keep behind the glass that says "Break In Case of Emergency"  :)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 10:31:17 am »

The last time I ordered bulk from MB I wasn't paying enough attention, the shipping was more than the grain, with S&H bulk cost more than by the pound. The cheapest option for me now is buying enough 10# bags to get free shipping.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline LeftyLucy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 05:12:46 pm »
Wine & Hop Shop, Madison Wisconsin