Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Off Flavor Question - Burnt Rubber  (Read 4741 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Off Flavor Question - Burnt Rubber
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 11:45:37 am »
Thanks for all the insight everyone.  I've already tossed the bucket and my second Flex+ arrived today as I don't want to chance it happening again.  The only way I can think to describe the odor and taste is burning tires.  I've read that it is tied to autolysis, but I can't imagine that would happen within 10 days, but then again I am pretty new to all this stuff.  There was no pellicle on top of the beer when I transferred.  The thing that is most odd to me is that I noticed the off smell in my brewing area after only about two days of fermentation, so to me that would mean that the autolysis would have happened within the first two days?  The "infected" bucket also took longer to have air lock activity than the stainless fermenter, I know that isn't necessarily a sign of fermentation activity, but it is something I noted in my notes.

Definitely seems too soon for autolysis and autolysis seldom happens at a homebrew level.  And autolysis aroma is better described as "meaty"
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeremy Mann

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 11:48:25 am »
Thanks for all the insight everyone.  I've already tossed the bucket and my second Flex+ arrived today as I don't want to chance it happening again.  The only way I can think to describe the odor and taste is burning tires.  I've read that it is tied to autolysis, but I can't imagine that would happen within 10 days, but then again I am pretty new to all this stuff.  There was no pellicle on top of the beer when I transferred.  The thing that is most odd to me is that I noticed the off smell in my brewing area after only about two days of fermentation, so to me that would mean that the autolysis would have happened within the first two days?  The "infected" bucket also took longer to have air lock activity than the stainless fermenter, I know that isn't necessarily a sign of fermentation activity, but it is something I noted in my notes.

Definitely seems too soon for autolysis and autolysis seldom happens at a homebrew level.  And autolysis aroma is better described as "meaty"

I agree, so that leads me back to infection.  I guess I need to spend some time going over my processes and identify and eliminate any gaps I find.  Honestly, I'm kinda shocked that this is my first bad beer in over 20 batches.  Guess it was bound to happen, trying to make it a learning opportunity.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 12:39:01 pm »
Well, we know what you think it’s not Denny, any ideas on what it could be? 

I am at a loss. I’ve never run into burnt rubber off flavor myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd guess an infection of some sort, but trying to diagnose beer from a description isn't easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 03:42:07 pm »
Not sure if this is possible, but perhaps your descriptor of burnt rubber is really a sulfur-based smell (like maybe a burnt match)?  One way for you to aromatically test that is to take some very light lager and treat it with some sodium metabisulfite and compare the two, adding more and more of the Sodium Metabisulfite to the light lager until it approximates your beer's aroma, if at all.  This condition is typically from a stressed yeast condition (low pitch rate, too high of fermentation temperature, as well as bacterial infection).

Good luck.  I hope it dissipates with time.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 04:59:16 pm »
When I see a thread like this I go back to something that I believe it was Ray Daniels said about having a common lexicon for describing things and sometimes people say burnt rubber but it really would be something else to somebody else if we were using the same reference point. 

Having said that it might be worth looking at something as simple as more of a phenolic like a Band-Aid type aroma and flavor I’ve seen that a lot with beers that are made with highly chlorinated water I don’t know this person’s brewing experience and if they filter the water I’ve also experienced this with different municipal water supplies at certain times of the year they really kick up the chlorine contribution whether it’s chlorine or chloramines and this could have affected your brewing water if you don’t filter it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Jeremy Mann

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 05:57:15 pm »
I appreciate the insight.  I do use about 50% tap water in my brewing.  I have sent the water away for testing and do treat with campden tablets for chlorine/chloramine.  I also use the same water for all my brewing and have not had this off taste before this batch or since this batch.   I completely agree with you about the interpretation of off flavors varying from person to person.  It has been a while since I tasted this beer, and unfortunately I can't taste it again or share it with others since it is now down the drain.