Author Topic: W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)  (Read 2319 times)

TXFlyGuy

W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)
« on: March 28, 2020, 06:31:55 pm »
Okay...getting ready to keg a Munich Helles in a day or two. Took some gravity readings, and had a nice sample for a taste.

As I write this, a bottle of Weihenstephaner Original Premium was just consumed. The taste profile is nearly identical to my 34/70 Helles. Mine has more flavor, as it is not filtered or pasteurized. Plus it is flat, not carbonated yet.

But I swear the 34/70 must be what they are using at the Weihenstephaner Brewery! The yeast flavor in the two beers is the same.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:01:27 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: W-34/70 (Weihenstephener Brewery)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 06:51:20 pm »
So the rumor is that 34/70 is the dry version of Wyeast 2124 and 2124 *is* Weihenstephan's yeast.  So you're correct.  Some people say they think 34/70 and 2124 are different.  Enter Lallemand Diamond which also reminds me very much of 2124 so these could all have the same [or similar] origins.  I have made A LOT of batches of beer with 2124 over the past 20+ years... one of my favorites and a nice yeast for a wide variety of beers.   
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:36:04 pm »
We’re talking about 34/70 again?  :o

Good work making a better beer than a standard example. Pretty amazing.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 05:46:20 am »

This is my first experience with this yeast. And I'm pleased with the results and overall flavor profile.

Our beer (still in the fermenter) compares quite favorably with the commercial example.

This yeast will be harvested and used repeatedly!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 07:22:09 am »

This is my first experience with this yeast. And I'm pleased with the results and overall flavor profile.

Our beer (still in the fermenter) compares quite favorably with the commercial example.

This yeast will be harvested and used repeatedly!

Good news!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 08:30:54 am »
So the rumor is that 34/70 is the dry version of Wyeast 2124 and 2124 *is* Weihenstephan's yeast.  So you're correct.  Some people say they think 34/70 and 2124 are different.  Enter Lallemand Diamond which also reminds me very much of 2124 so these could all have the same [or similar] origins.  I have made A LOT of batches of beer with 2124 over the past 20+ years... one of my favorites and a nice yeast for a wide variety of beers.

I don't know if I'd put it exactly like that, Ken.  Your statement implies that 34/70 is from 2124.  The more likely scenario is that they both came from the same predcessor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 08:33:08 am »

;D

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:18 am »

I don't know if I'd put it exactly like that, Ken.  Your statement implies that 34/70 is from 2124.  The more likely scenario is that they both came from the same predcessor.
Well, I tried to straddle that line by saying that some do not equate the two and saying that "these could all have the same [or similar] origins".  I feel like if you enjoyed a beer made with 2124 you may very well like a beer made with 34/70 or Diamond because they are at least similar.   Exact?  No one will tell me and believe me... I have asked!!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 09:57:28 am »

Well, I tried to straddle that line by saying that some do not equate the two and saying that "these could all have the same [or similar] origins".  I feel like if you enjoyed a beer made with 2124 you may very well like a beer made with 34/70 or Diamond because they are at least similar.   Exact?  No one will tell me and believe me... I have asked!!  :D

Even if they came from the exact same source originally,  they would diverge over time due to the way they're treated.  But theu would srill have common characteristics.   What I was getting at is that it's unlikely Fermentis cultured 34/70 from 2124 (but certainly not impossible).

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 11:51:37 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
Ken from Chicago. 

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 02:09:36 pm »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 03:02:16 pm »
Maybe they ordered from the original source?

https://www.hefebank-weihenstephan.de/en/products/yeast/bierhefen-untergaerig-bruchhefe/w-34-70/

Do they retail to the public, or just wholesale?

No idea. It looks like they sell brewery sized pitches.

You can contact them
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 04:00:15 pm »
Maybe they ordered from the original source?

https://www.hefebank-weihenstephan.de/en/products/yeast/bierhefen-untergaerig-bruchhefe/w-34-70/

Do they retail to the public, or just wholesale?

No idea. It looks like they sell brewery sized pitches.

You can contact them

They are just north of Munich. Wish I would have paid them a visit last January.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
Re: W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 05:05:11 am »
They're geared to commercial users (and don't take the mickey on pricing like the British NCYC), but I've seen at least one of the German homebrew forums organise a group buy from them.