Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)  (Read 3546 times)

TXFlyGuy

Re: W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:46 pm »
Flocculation - is 34/70 known for high flocculation?

Just kegged my Munich Helles, and expected the beer to be clear, or slightly clear. It is cloudy. We cold crashed 7 days ago, but that does not seem to have helped.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 06:38:45 pm »
I believe its flocculation is "medium". 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 06:40:27 pm »
Gelatin works well with 34/70.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 06:49:35 pm »
Thanks! Might try some gelatin.

Offline BrewBama

W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 06:52:24 am »
To determine how my beer is clearing, after I fill the keg, I carry the FV upstairs to the brewery (aka laundry room) and take a sample.  The agitation from carrying it upstairs creates turbidity but I don’t swirl up the gloppy dregs from the cone. I drain off some turbid slurry into a sanitized Mason jar, place it in the fridge and see how it’s doing over time. If it’s not clear by the time I need it, I hit it with gelatin. As a bonus, I usually get a creamy yeast cake in the bottom of the jar suitable for repitch if I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:54:07 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 09:52:19 am »
To determine how my beer is clearing, after I fill the keg, I carry the FV upstairs to the brewery (aka laundry room) and take a sample.  The agitation from carrying it upstairs creates turbidity but I don’t swirl up the gloppy dregs from the cone. I drain off some turbid slurry into a sanitized Mason jar, place it in the fridge and see how it’s doing over time. If it’s not clear by the time I need it, I hit it with gelatin. As a bonus, I usually get a creamy yeast cake in the bottom of the jar suitable for repitch if I want.

My beers have all been cloudy lately. I ran out of Whirlfloc. Gelatin has been a great substitute. It seems Whirlfloc is unnecessary if you commit to using gelatin.

That said, I just put in an order online for some Whirlfloc and other essentials.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 10:06:11 am »

My beers have all been cloudy lately. I ran out of Whirlfloc. Gelatin has been a great substitute. It seems Whirlfloc is unnecessary if you commit to using gelatin.

That said, I just put in an order online for some Whirlfloc and other essentials.

In case you weren't aware, 1 Whirlfloc tab is good for 12 gal.  For 5 gal. batches you can use 1/2 of one and extend your supply.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:48 am »
I have read all I need is half a whirlflock tablet but cutting them in half is a PITA.  They always bust up into pieces and I end up having to piece together a puzzle to get ~half. ...so I just throw the whole d@^~ thing in.

I think they sell powder which what I should get. It would probably be easier to use.

That’s why I bought Metabisulfate powder vs campden tables.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:51:27 am by BrewBama »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 11:09:57 am »
   I bought a pound of whirlfloc from amazon for ~$20 a couple years or so ago, after more than 100 batches there's still half a bag left, I'm not concerned about economizing on whirlfloc.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 11:37:24 am »
I have read all I need is half a whirlflock tablet but cutting them in half is a PITA.  They always bust up into pieces and I end up having to piece together a puzzle to get ~half. ...so I just throw the whole d@^~ thing in.

I think they sell powder which what I should get. It would probably be easier to use.

That’s why I bought Metabisulfate powder vs campden tables.

I haven't had much trouble cutting them with a sharp pocket knife.  A pill splitter splitter also works well
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 06:15:53 pm »
Here's our take...if the gelatin works (we hope it does), Whirlflock will no longer be utilized.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 06:36:01 pm »
Here's our take...if the gelatin works (we hope it does), Whirlflock will no longer be utilized.

I use both.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 07:42:19 pm »
I use both. I also use Brewtan B.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 05:57:57 am »

I use both.

Ok...you talked us into it.

BTW, the gelatin made the beer absolutely brilliant, crystal clear. As good as any commercial example.

Big Monk

Re: W-34/70 (Weihenstephener Brewery)
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 09:12:09 am »
We’re talking about 34/70 again?  :o

Good work making a better beer than a standard example. Pretty amazing.

Don’t discount that the W Original could have been old. That’s not a dig on his beer at all but you need to check the bottling codes on those imports. I just found some year old W Pils in my local store and these distributors are often pretty darn religious about fresh beer.