Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: W-34/70 (Weihenstephaner Brewery)  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: W-34/70 (Weihenstephener Brewery)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 10:01:48 am »
We’re talking about 34/70 again?  :o

Good work making a better beer than a standard example. Pretty amazing.

Don’t discount that the W Original could have been old. That’s not a dig on his beer at all but you need to check the bottling codes on those imports. I just found some year old W Pils in my local store and these distributors are often pretty darn religious about fresh beer.

Well I was admittedly being kind of snarky in my original comment. A personality issue of mine.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 12:24:19 pm »
So the rumor is that 34/70 is the dry version of Wyeast 2124 and 2124 *is* Weihenstephan's yeast.  So you're correct.  Some people say they think 34/70 and 2124 are different.  Enter Lallemand Diamond which also reminds me very much of 2124 so these could all have the same [or similar] origins.  I have made A LOT of batches of beer with 2124 over the past 20+ years... one of my favorites and a nice yeast for a wide variety of beers.

I don't know if I'd put it exactly like that, Ken.  Your statement implies that 34/70 is from 2124.  The more likely scenario is that they both came from the same predcessor.

One thing that stuck with me from Mark was that it is Station 34, Isolate 70 from the W Hefebank. They may all be from there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 01:47:23 pm »
We’re talking about 34/70 again?  :o

Good work making a better beer than a standard example. Pretty amazing.

Don’t discount that the W Original could have been old. That’s not a dig on his beer at all but you need to check the bottling codes on those imports. I just found some year old W Pils in my local store and these distributors are often pretty darn religious about fresh beer.

The Weihenstephaner Original Premium is pretty fresh, less than 3 months old. It was packaged on the 5th day of the 3rd week, 2020. We always study the date codes on any beer we purchase. BTW...that is just one reason why we started up Bel Air Brewing. To have a ready supply of good quality, fresh European style beer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:56:30 pm by Bel Air Brewing »