Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Staying positive...  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Staying positive...
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:05 am »
I mean this in the most positive way and I do not mean to create any friction among us, political or otherwise.  That said, I will step carefully.  Lately I have been in the mode of removing negative forces from my life.  In ways that I can, I try to distance myself from things that bring me down.  We can't do that with work or the mother in-law (I'm lucky in both cases) but we might be able to elsewhere.  Specifically, people on social media and in some cases people on these very boards.  In two cases I have stopped visiting brewing forums... one was my choice and on the other my account kept ending up mysteriously 'inactive' so I got the message.  On FB, I see people spewing all kinds of stupidity in just about any form you can imagine.  I don't FB much but I have family scattered all over the country and so I use it.  In one case, a high school friend of mine posts just about every 20 minutes that the coronavirus is not real and is a political hoax.  According to him, no one is dying, no one is sick, no medical equipment is needed, the common flu is much, much worse, etc.  Of course he has no qualifications to make these statements.  I consider myself politically independent, not fully embracing either party blindly.  I will watch a wide range of political "news" so I can try to be as informed as possible and reach my own conclusions and so I don't have to rely on some hack on FB who thinks he needs to produce content simply because he has a platform.  I blocked him.  I stopped visiting forums with divisive members.  Life is better.   :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Staying positive...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:09 am »
My sister is a a nurse with a phd. She assures everyone this pandemic isn't a hoax and I believe her. This shouldn't have anything to do with politics just like antivaxxers and flat earthers don't have anything to do with politics but everything to do with idiocy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:14:46 am »
I've adjusted a lot of my routines.  I spend less time on FB and when I'm there I try to limit myself to beer topics.   On any beer forum in on, I TRY not to get into arguments.  If you know me, you know that's tough!  But my entire attitude bout beer has been shifting from trying to prove who's right to having friendly discussions.  Even the type of movies and TV I watch has changed.  I tried watching both a mission Impossible and an Avengers movies yesterday.  Couldn't do either one.  I can't take violence a d people being cruel to each other ay the moment.  I'm rewatching Great British Baking Snow and Monty Don gardening shows, where people are kind and gentle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:15:28 am »
My sister is a a nurse with a phd. She assures everyone this pandemic isn't a hoax and I believe her. This shouldn't have anything to do with politics just like antivaxxers and flat earthers don't have anything to do with politics but everything to do with idiocy.
Funny you mention flat-earthers because I was talking to some buds saying that the people who think the virus is a hoax are the new flat-earthers.  People love a good conspiracy. 

Another piece of this:  I feel like some people go out of their way to be s***ty to others.  I see a lot of positive people and those caring for others and simply being human.  But I sure see a lot of people who seem to have a quota for how many people they can offend and I just don't get it.  These people probably wouldn't act this way if they were hanging out in your backyard with you all day but put them in front of a screen and holy s***... they unleash hell.  There is probably a psychology experiment in there somewhere.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:35 am »
Good post V.T.  Glad you landed here. 

Recently, I had to take a step back, look at myself in the mirror, and realized RDWHAHB might be some pretty good advice to follow — especially online.  I like the tone this site has taken lately. Very civil discussions

Like Keith, I have an inside straight into the local medical scene. Big wig at one of the local hospitals. I concur with him: ignoring this is not smart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:37:18 am »
I closed my FB account a couple of months ago. I generally only used FB to keep tabs on old friends, but just got tired of the BS. I am trying to be less confrontational on brewing forums, hard as it can be at times. I also try to limit any political discussion to face-face, which pretty much eliminated it due to the present circumstances. As for the conspiracy theorists, they'll always be out there. I find the best way to deal with them is like you deal with a bad comedian. Both have some entertainment value and would be funnier if they weren't so pathetic.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:53 am »
I have no issue with people who want to believe something that I don't believe in.  If they want to quietly assemble and talk about their beliefs, have conventions and shows and websites and clubs, that's fine.  I don't want them to try to convert me or convince me and I don't necessarily want to be the one pointing my finger at them and discounting their gig.  If I have the right frame of mind, they're not hurting me or bothering me.  But if I allow that static into my head and it starts to build up, it could have a negative impact on me and it would be my fault for allowing it.  So... eliminate it.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:10:47 am »
Like Village Taphouse, I try very hard to be an independent on most things.  I don't think I always achieve that but it's my goal.  The only way to find "truth" is to read everything, consider where there are overlaps and trying to see what makes sense.

Of course sometimes you still feel the need to call out 'pure stupid' when you see it.  I have typed many responses that I've deleted before posting since they would not have been constructive.  I really feel the folks on this forum try very hard to not offend each other.  Thanks to everyone and please keep it up.

Also, If I say something stupid, I fully expect to be called on it.  Gently, I hope.  ::) 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 11:37:51 am »
The best thing to do with Facebook is when someone posts a source you don't want to see to Block those types of posts. Not the person, but the source. I've don't that with many left and right leaning political posts. So when Denny goes full left wing nutjob I typically don't see it and I think he's just a good natured homebrewing stoner and my opinion of him stays high. I had a friend and her husband was always posting ridiculous statements which I would see so I blocked his posts. Recently I snoozed two friends for different reasons. One only posted links with no comment as to why they posted them. I really don't care to read something without knowing why the poster finds it of importance. The other was critical of everything and I found it annoying so we'll see his posts again in another month. Several years ago I reconnected with a friend, and homebrewer, who was always a bit askew, but kept posting so much political crap I eventually unfriended him to save my sanity. Another homebrewer, who really wasn't a friend, always posted know-it-all postings and eventually I tired of his rhetoric and removed him as a friend. Life is so much better now!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 11:45:26 am »
The best thing to do with Facebook is when someone posts a source you don't want to see to Block those types of posts. Not the person, but the source. I've don't that with many left and right leaning political posts. So when Denny goes full left wing nutjob I typically don't see it and I think he's just a good natured homebrewing stoner and my opinion of him stays high. I had a friend and her husband was always posting ridiculous statements which I would see so I blocked his posts. Recently I snoozed two friends for different reasons. One only posted links with no comment as to why they posted them. I really don't care to read something without knowing why the poster finds it of importance. The other was critical of everything and I found it annoying so we'll see his posts again in another month. Several years ago I reconnected with a friend, and homebrewer, who was always a bit askew, but kept posting so much political crap I eventually unfriended him to save my sanity. Another homebrewer, who really wasn't a friend, always posted know-it-all postings and eventually I tired of his rhetoric and removed him as a friend. Life is so much better now!

If I didn't know you so well, that comment might get you booted.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:04:10 pm »
Even the type of movies and TV I watch has changed.  I tried watching both a mission Impossible and an Avengers movies yesterday.  Couldn't do either one.  I can't take violence a d people being cruel to each other ay the moment.  I'm rewatching Great British Baking Snow and Monty Don gardening shows, where people are kind and gentle.
Last Saturday movie night for us was a Pink Panther movie. During the week we are now going through our collection of Last of the summer wine: lots of good natured fun and at least 2-3 pub visits every episode.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 12:35:08 pm »
On a travel forum I look at occasionally, someone had traveled during the early days of the coronavirus and they had to act quickly and end their vacation early because international travel was going to be impacted.  She posted about how nervous she was, how unlucky she felt that her vacation had to end early after all the planning, etc.  Someone else felt the need to respond by saying that she was selfish for thinking only of herself and her vacation when people were getting sick or dying.  Anyone could have seen her post and either had empathy for her or possibly thought that she was being selfish.  Regardless of your take on it, many people might not post back or maybe would say "Sorry about your vacaiton" or whatever... but it's the people who cannot pass on the opportunity to put someone else in their place and make them feel like s***... these are the people who eventually make me check out.  It's usually the same people or group of people over and over.  It's as if they're just looking for a piece of someone's post that they can jump on.  What is it that makes someone act like that?  Why do they feel they're the one who needs to set everyone else straight?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:37:52 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:35:55 pm »
Even the type of movies and TV I watch has changed.  I tried watching both a mission Impossible and an Avengers movies yesterday.  Couldn't do either one.  I can't take violence a d people being cruel to each other ay the moment.  I'm rewatching Great British Baking Snow and Monty Don gardening shows, where people are kind and gentle.
Last Saturday movie night for us was a Pink Panther movie. During the week we are now going through our collection of Last of the summer wine: lots of good natured fun and at least 2-3 pub visits every episode.

Last of the summer wine!  Totally forgotten about that one.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 02:22:36 pm »
I sincerely enjoyed reading all the above perspectives.  I do not, and will not, ever have a FB page; I believe FB is the devils website.  People get very ignorant on that site and there's nowhere to hide other than to "de friend them".

Regarding the Flat-Earth folks, I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion however demented it may be.  Much of the conspiracy theories we hear about come from that "Info-Wars" website run by that guy...Alex something.  But I have a niece who is a nurse in Madison, WI,  and I assure you, this pandemic is NO hoax.

Regarding politics, I have had to bite my fingers many times on many subjects I wanted to respond to within this forum.  Recently Denny rightfully slapped my hand for stepping out of line.  (Sorry Denny) But regarding the OP and their desire to distance them self from any and all negativity, I admire you for that.  Its a wonderful and noble approach to life, especially in these very difficult times.  Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 02:39:08 pm »
I knew I'd bring Denny out of hiding with that jab!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!