Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baking Soda to Raise pH  (Read 4423 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Baking Soda to Raise pH
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 05:36:33 pm »
10 to 15 minutes into the mash isn't long enough. Did you happen to perform later measurements?

By the way, with the huge amount of malt flavor in that beer, the somewhat elevated sodium content isn't likely to be notable.  We'll look forward to your comments on the results in a few months.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Carson B

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 07:49:48 pm »
10 to 15 minutes into the mash isn't long enough. Did you happen to perform later measurements?

By the way, with the huge amount of malt flavor in that beer, the somewhat elevated sodium content isn't likely to be notable.  We'll look forward to your comments on the results in a few months.

I have always seen to take a measurement 15 minutes into the mash. Is that not correct?

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 07:42:53 am »
~30-45 minutes should see the mash pH stabilize.  pH stability seems to occur right around when saccharification is complete (I.E., when all starches have been converted to sugars).

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 07:49:58 am »
It looks like lime is in my future!

Find it at the pickle making supplies section of your supermarket.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 08:45:13 am »
I take my reference pH sample at about 15-20 minutes as well.

Over a series of brews days, using the same grist, water volumes, mineral additions, pump setting, etc, I took samples at 20 minute intervals throughout the entire mash. I noticed very little pH change over the entire mash ...like +/- .01 if I remember correctly, which is well within the margin of error given the MW101 pH meter operator’s lack of sophistication.

Over that series, I noticed most of the SG increase takes place within 20 min. @152*F. ...but I measured additional SG increase to about the 90 min mark. Past the 90 min mark the SG did rise but very little.

So, based on my measurements, using my system, water volume, mineral additions, mill and pump settings, processes, etc., I stop mashing at 90 min.  I get very consistent, predictable results which gives me confidence that when I brew I know what I’ll end up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:24 am »

Over a series of brews days, using the same grist, water volumes, mineral additions, pump setting, etc, I took samples at 20 minute intervals throughout the entire mash. I noticed very little pH change over the entire mash ...like +/- .01 if I remember correctly, which is well within the margin of error given the MW101 pH meter operator’s lack of sophistication.

Over that series, I noticed most of the SG increase takes place within 20 min. @152*F. ...but I measured additional SG increase to about the 90 min mark. Past the 90 min mark the SG did rise but very little.

So, based on my measurements, using my system, water volume, mineral additions, mill and pump settings, processes, etc., I stop mashing at 90 min.  I get very consistent, predictable results which gives me confidence that when I brew I know what I’ll end up with.

Kudos for your thoroughness in figuring out what works for you!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 09:01:01 am »
Although I do not disagree with Martin here (he is the better chemistry guy here),  I have delayed adding the dark malts (roast, black patent, etc) to mash until I do a mashout  with my stouts and have good success.  I add these dark grains when raising the mash temp to 168 for mashout and recirculate/vorlauf for at least 10 minutes before running off the wort to insure good homogeneity.  Obviously, the dark grains have no enzymes left from the roasting process so they won't effect the mash efficiency.

This was a technique mentioned by Gordon Strong and it helps me keep my pH in line during the mashing process.  That said, if you can get your pH right with minerals before doughing in with all the grains, better yet.

Just my .02

Personally, I find doing that changes the flavor so much that the technique isn't always applicable.

While I was laying awake in bed last nite, I had a hair-brained idea (yeah most of my ideas are hair-brained, I'll say it before anyone else does!).  Since most of the conversion of the mash occurs in the first 10-15 minutes, as borne out by many malsters and literature,  maybe holding out the dark grains until say 20 minutes into the rest might not effect the flavors as you say, Denny.  It would definitely make the wort more homogeneous earlier and the lowering of the pH wouldn't be so critical.  Just thinking out loud here.

Might be a good research project for me to undertake here!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 09:02:25 am »
Although I do not disagree with Martin here (he is the better chemistry guy here),  I have delayed adding the dark malts (roast, black patent, etc) to mash until I do a mashout  with my stouts and have good success.  I add these dark grains when raising the mash temp to 168 for mashout and recirculate/vorlauf for at least 10 minutes before running off the wort to insure good homogeneity.  Obviously, the dark grains have no enzymes left from the roasting process so they won't effect the mash efficiency.

This was a technique mentioned by Gordon Strong and it helps me keep my pH in line during the mashing process.  That said, if you can get your pH right with minerals before doughing in with all the grains, better yet.

Just my .02

Personally, I find doing that changes the flavor so much that the technique isn't always applicable.

While I was laying awake in bed last nite, I had a hair-brained idea (yeah most of my ideas are hair-brained, I'll say it before anyone else does!).  Since most of the conversion of the mash occurs in the first 10-15 minutes, as borne out by many malsters and literature,  maybe holding out the dark grains until say 20 minutes into the rest might not effect the flavors as you say, Denny.  It would definitely make the wort more homogeneous earlier and the lowering of the pH wouldn't be so critical.  Just thinking out loud here.

Or you can put them in at the beginning and adjust pH accordingly.  That's my preference.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 09:05:52 am »

Just my .02

Or you can put them in at the beginning and adjust pH accordingly.  That's my preference.

I have done it both ways, and am not disagreeing with you, Denny.  It seems a bit easier to control the pH by holding out the dark grains until mashout, but I am going to research this more.  I like fun projects!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 09:08:02 am »

I basically do what you do, Brewbama.  I take my pH measurement about 15 minutes or so in.  Your empirical data here shows me that I am OK with this.  Thanks for sharing!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 09:21:10 am »

Just my .02

I have done it both ways, and am not disagreeing with you, Denny.  It seems a bit easier to control the pH by holding out the dark grains until mashout, but I am going to research this more.  I like fun projects!
If you can, post your results here so we can all participate in your project. This sounds plausible.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 09:52:00 am »

Just my .02

If you can, post your results here so we can all participate in your project. This sounds plausible.

I will definitely do so!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 10:06:54 am »

Just my .02

Whatever works for you is what you should do!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 10:33:35 am »

I have always seen to take a measurement 15 minutes into the mash. Is that not correct?

I used to think so, but my experiments and measurements from dozens of brews and tests show that it’s not. For a typical grist, it takes at least 45 minutes for mash pH stabilizes. Even the ASBC procedure for grain pH requires a 30 minute mash and that procedure uses a very fine grind.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 05:36:00 pm »
A very quick ballpark way to calculate the baking soda requirement without the need for software is to use this simple formula:

Delta_pH = mEq's/(Buffering Capacity x Kg_Grist)

If we presume the following:
Mash pH = 5.10
Target Mash pH = 5.40
Grist Weight = 9.35 Kg
Typical dark grist buffering capacity = 35
Baking Soda = ~11.9 mEq's per gram

We get:

(5.4-5.1) = mEq/s/(9.35 x 35)
0.30 = mEq's/327.25
mEq's = 98.2

98.2 mEq's/11.9 mEq's/gram = 8.25 grams
Answer = add ~8.25 grams of Baking Soda to hit a mash pH of 5.4

We can then work this backwards to see what 14 grams of baking soda should do the the pH as follows

(pH_After_Baking Soda - 5.1) = (11.9 x 14)/(9.35 x 35)
pH_After_Baking Soda - 5.1 = 0.5091
pH_After_Baking Soda = 0.5091 + 5.1
The predicted Mash pH after adding 14 grams of baking soda = 5.61

That you measured 6.0 pH is a bit odd vs. a predicted 5.61 pH.  Does your mash water have inherent alkalinity?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:43:25 pm by Silver_Is_Money »