Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buying grains online  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Buying grains online
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »
With my local home brew shop closed. Looking for a recomendation for an online dealer.

Thank you in advance

Offline Bklmt2000

• Cellarman
Re: Buying grains online
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:20 pm »
I buy my grains online at both Label Peelers and Ritebrew.  Highly satisfied with both.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 02:59:33 am »
If UK experience is anything to go by, all the online places will be swamped if they're not already - and delivery will take longer than usual. The first place to ask is your local brewery, certainly for base malts in bulk - they will likely have spare inventory that's not needed right now, and buying local means that fewer hands touch your order.

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 04:15:46 am »
I have 30 lbs. of base malt left and where I live I don't think I can buy a sack of anything. Maybe one batch at a time but rumour has it to expect big delays. I am good until the end of April and hopefully things may get back to normal.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:37:24 am »
With my local home brew shop closed. Looking for a recomendation for an online dealer.

Thank you in advance

Www.chicagobrewwerks.com

I buy all my brewing supplies from this company.  Currently, they are only doing on-line sales.  They have a great selection and competitive pricing.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 08:18:30 am »
Check with your local brewpubs.  With social distancing and people staying home, they may have more malted grain on hand than they need.  They might offer it at a discounted price with no shipping charge if you pick it up yourself.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 07:29:39 am »
Check with your local brewpubs.  With social distancing and people staying home, they may have more malted grain on hand than they need.  They might offer it at a discounted price with no shipping charge if you pick it up yourself.

Second this suggestion. I know several breweries are actively promoting these sales locally especially on grain and if you called around and offered to buy a sack at normal homebrew sack prices I don't think you would have a hard time finding a seller for most grain.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:22 am »
I use https://www.txbrewing.com/, great selection and service. 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny