Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Public service announcement that will probably make most of you say DUH!  (Read 3190 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
You guys are making me think I need to clean and sanitize the lines between every pour.  ;)

I am not that obsessive compulsive!!!!!   :)
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

You guys are making me think I need to clean and sanitize the lines between every pour.  ;)

I am not that obsessive compulsive!!!!!   :)
I say that into the mirror 5 times each morning. I think it’s helping. Really...

Online coolman26

• Brewmaster
I still use cobra taps.  I guess an advantage of that is that it's easy for me to tear down my entire dispense system every time a keg empties.
Lol, me too....funny thing is I have everything to make a new kegerator. 3 Ventmatics and 2 Intertaps, cobra taps are easy.
Jeff B

Offline beersk

• In the night!
Ken,

Did you ever try dumping the first couple ounces to see if the flavor went away or did you not even suspect the beer lines until you cleaned them and didn't test that variable?
Hi Beersk:  I did not test that variable.  Do you think that the beer sitting in the line absorbs a bit of whatever is "dirty" and is in worse shape than the beer that follows?  It makes sense.  I was actually trying to picture what was happening:  Small particles of funk are stuck to the sides of the lines and it comes off when you tap a beer and you end up tasting it.  But the beer in the line has had more contact with the lines and so that's the worst part.  Seeing as this was one of the more pronounced instances of 'funky beer lines', my strategy going forward is to clean the lines far more often.  If your question is pointing to something that I'm missing, please let me know.

Yep, that was kind of what I was getting at. The beer sitting in the line absorbs it and affects the flavor. Not an issue with regular cleaning though. I think a thorough cleaning every 3 or 6 months is probably about all you need depending on your turnover. I mean, if you cared about longevity of your beer lines, after every keg blows works, but that's just more work than I want to put in. Since I change my lines out annually, I don't worry about it too much. But then again, it really isn't that much work...and I've got all kinds of time these days.
Jesse