Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how to make the least flavorful fermented alcohol of at least 5% ?  (Read 4127 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: how to make the least flavorful fermented alcohol of at least 5% ?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 03:39:56 pm »
Second last post likely by OP here on this topic.

Update: "Strong Dextrose Alcohol" kilju.

4.25KG Dextrose
.25kg crystal 10

OG 1.108

FG 1.024 :(

IBU: 10

colour - clear yellow, actually looks like pale lager but uncarbonated and in wine bottles.

taste is clean, havent bothered getting tasting notes yet, immediate sugar sweetness, not honey or malt, just sugar. thanks to light hopping it is not painful, and in fact better than it sounds. Wine-like alcohol, definitely doesnt smack you in the face, body exists due to amount of alcohol.

I wanted to get this bottled and it already was kind of a disappointment. I considered adding herbs or bittering stuff, but I figured it's too late for that.

Could have been much cheaper if I used cane sugar instead of dextrose, but I perceive (or at least believe that I do) unpleasant flavours in cane sugar. Please don't argue with me ITT about the cane sugar thing, I know, i know.

Conclusion: It will make a good cooking wine, which I actually really like to use and can't cheaply get here. If I'm determined to get drunk someday for cheap, I think I'll try one. Was this a good experiment? Yes.

If someone were to do this again, the main thing would be getting the FG down. a. Reduce the OG slightly and maybe even do three steps up in gravity rather than two. b. add more nutrients/more malt/juice to ensure a better fermentation. c. add a strong flavour to mask any sweetness, coffee, herbs, ?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: how to make the least flavorful fermented alcohol of at least 5% ?
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2020, 10:29:57 am »
This most recent batch seems very similar to making mead, just with corn sugar rather than honey. If you tried a staggered nutrient addition schedule like meadmakers commonly use, that might help get your FG way down. I've fermented meads in the 1.120 OG range that finished in the single digits FG.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer