Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast not activating  (Read 790 times)

Offline Ayyiyi

• 1st Kit
Yeast not activating
« on: April 02, 2020, 10:48:09 am »
On Sunday, I brewed a batch of American Honey Wheat using a extract recipe and crushed grains and malt in muslin bag. Cooled wort to about 88°and pitched Safale WB-05. Airlock bubbled for a few hours and stopped. I tried to jump start it with 1/2 tablespoon of Red Star dry yeast to restart the process to no avail. I never had this happen before. What can I do to restart this process without giving the brew an overly yeasty taste? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast not activating
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:50:03 am »
88 is such a high temperature the fermentation is likely finished.  It goes very quickly like that, and frankly won't make great beer.  In the future try to get your temp down into the mid 60s before pitching yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Ayyiyi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 10:53:29 am »
So, basically, I killed it. Is there anyway to restart it?

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 11:01:49 am »
Not saying you killed it. Just that it might be done fermenting already at that temp. Only way to tell is by taking hydrometer reading to verify.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 11:29:26 am »
So, basically, I killed it. Is there anyway to restart it?

Nope, you didn't kill it unless the temp got over 115F.  It just worked very quickly.  If you take a gravity reading, I think you'll see it's fermented out.  That explains why you can't restart it....there's nothing left to ferment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell