Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin Question  (Read 2671 times)

TXFlyGuy

Gelatin Question
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:23:25 am »
As my 34/70 yeast is still in suspension after kegging our Munich Helles...i.e., slightly cloudy beer, we will add some gelatin to help clear it out.

In a 5 gallon keg, how much do we add? How long does it take to clear the beer?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Gelatin Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:28:07 am »
I let 1 tsp "bloom" in 1/2 of lukewarm water for 15 minutes, heat somewhere around 170F, stir, then add.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:29:16 am »
I let 1 tsp "bloom" in 1/2 of lukewarm water for 15 minutes, heat somewhere around 170F, stir, then add.

Sounds like a plan.
Thanks!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 08:32:40 am »

I assume 1/2 means a half cup of water?
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 09:15:48 am »
I use 1 tsp gelatin in 2/3 cup of water. I let it sit 15 min or so, then put it in the microwave for 15 sec. I continue the 15 sec bursts until I get to ~150*F (usually 4 bursts).

I pour the mixture into a clean sanitized 2L plastic bottle. I squeeze the air out and put on a carbonator cap. I pressurize the bottle with a bit of CO2 until it pops back into shape (very short bursts required). I PULL THE KEG PRV to depressurize it, place a jumper on the bottle, invert the bottle, connect the jumper to the gas in post, allow nearly all the liquid to drain into the keg and quickly disconnect it before it all empties into the keg. This way I don’t introduce air into the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 09:38:21 am »
I use these instructions:
https://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

It takes 3-7 days. You will see improvement quickly, but in my case the beer often keeps clarifying for about a week.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 11:06:29 am »
I use 1g/gal. Add the gelatin to room temp distilled and bring to 150* while constantly stirring. Pour into purged kegs, replace lid, purge again then keg as usual. I have learned to not exceed 150* when dissolving the gelatin or you run the risk of flavorless jello shots when you pour a draft.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 12:14:29 pm »
Okay...the packets were 7 grams, so added that to 100 degree water, slowly warming to 150 and stirring.
Added that to my keg while slowly stirring it into the beer...the 5 gallons was already in the keg.

Hope to see some improvement soon. If not, at least we will have jello shots.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:01:13 pm »
I use 1 tsp gelatin in 2/3 cup of water. I let it sit 15 min or so, then put it in the microwave for 15 sec. I continue the 15 sec bursts until I get to ~150*F (usually 4 bursts).

I pour the mixture into a clean sanitized 2L plastic bottle. I squeeze the air out and put on a carbonator cap. I pressurize the bottle with a bit of CO2 until it pops back into shape (very short bursts required). I PULL THE KEG PRV to depressurize it, place a jumper on the bottle, invert the bottle, connect the jumper to the gas in post, allow nearly all the liquid to drain into the keg and quickly disconnect it before it all empties into the keg. This way I don’t introduce air into the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like your method. Obviously, everyone has a different method and I have been heating the water (I too use 2/3 cup) to boiling to sterilize it.  Put a coaster over the beaker and allow it to cool to 150 degrees (takes about 10 minutes max).  I add the gelatin and allow it to "bloom", then carefully pour it into the secondary fermenter (a.k.a brite tank).  I will clear pretty quickly but allowing it to set for a day or so is even more beneficial, then keg it.

That said, I am going to try your idea the next time I need to clarify a beer where the yeast is too stubborn to flocculate.  I never do this to an IPA though because I am afraid of scrubbing some of the hop flavor from the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:48:03 pm »
Just watched a YouTube video on gelatin for clearing beer. The person had two beers, one fined, one un-fined. The gelatin fined beer was still cloudy after one week. The non gelatin fined beer was bright and crystal clear, after aging over a month in the keg.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 07:40:13 pm »
As another data point: this is a beer I fined with gelatin three days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 05:24:11 am »
I have watched as gelatin cleared beer in a glass carboy.  Pour the warm mixture onto cold beer and you can see it create a layer on top due to temperature stratification.  This layer gradually drops to the bottom taking the haze with it.  A few hours is all it really takes in my experience.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 05:49:23 am »
I have watched as gelatin cleared beer in a glass carboy.  Pour the warm mixture onto cold beer and you can see it create a layer on top due to temperature stratification.  This layer gradually drops to the bottom taking the haze with it.  A few hours is all it really takes in my experience.

It has been 18 hours on my keg. Followed the advice here on the correct technique for application. No clearing as of 0650 CDT. None. Cloudy/hazy. Dang it!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:22:38 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 07:41:02 am »

It has been 18 hours on my keg. Followed the advice here on the correct technique for application. No clearing as of 0650 CDT. None. Cloudy/hazy. Dang it!

Hmmm.  I had to fine my Wee Heavy for the NHC First Round (now cancelled) because it was still a bit hazy.  Fined it with Gelatin in the keg and after pouring off the first pint or two, it was totally clear.  It only sat for a day in the kegerator and probably cleared before that.   Plan to try Brewbama's technique in the future.
Note:  I just poured the warm gelatin mixture into the top of the beer in the keg while keeping the CO2 on to prevent O2 from getting in.  Wonder what the difference between your experience and mine is?
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 08:35:14 am »

Hmmm.  I had to fine my Wee Heavy for the NHC First Round (now cancelled) because it was still a bit hazy.  Fined it with Gelatin in the keg and after pouring off the first pint or two, it was totally clear.  It only sat for a day in the kegerator and probably cleared before that.   Plan to try Brewbama's technique in the future.
Note:  I just poured the warm gelatin mixture into the top of the beer in the keg while keeping the CO2 on to prevent O2 from getting in.  Wonder what the difference between your experience and mine is?

I did the same, had CO2 on top of the keg, and slowly poured the warm gelatin mix in. Then gently stirred.
And...I have a floating pick-up tube, so the beer is coming right off the top of the keg.