Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Would you recommend nottingham yeast in 2020?  (Read 8062 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Would you recommend nottingham yeast in 2020?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 11:49:57 pm »
Can someone post a recipe and process for re-producing peach flavors with US-05? 

I brewed a number of batches last winter with US-05 in the 57-ish ambient (around 60-ish in fermenter) and didn't find peach flavors.

I got it once, years ago:

10 lbs US 2-row
1 lb munich
1 lb caramunich

1 oz Perle 60 mins
1 oz Mt Hood 15 minutes.

Pitch at 72F, ferment at ambient, and experience a heatwave the next day so it ferments in the low-80's. Worth nothing: it's a cooked/candy peach flavor, not fresh peach. Think cheap peach cobbler pie filling.
.5 lbs golden naked oats

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 07:51:07 am »
I think it's an individual flavor threshold thing. I used it for years and brewed good beer that I and my friends and family enjoyed. But once I looked for it, I couldn't escape it and switched to Bry-97. Others who drank my beer either didn't notice or didn't care.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more never noticed the peach thing in 05. Sometimes I wish I could because I might like it.

I used 05 for years and never noticed it.  Thought 05 was very clean.  But once I tasted it I couldn't not taste it any more.  What does that mean?  Maybe there are only specific production runs that have it?  Maybe some people re more sensitive to it than others?  Maybe there are certain brewing processes that bring it out?  I have no idea, but I have found the way for me to avoid it is to avoid 05.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 09:01:20 am »
I think it's an individual flavor threshold thing. I used it for years and brewed good beer that I and my friends and family enjoyed. But once I looked for it, I couldn't escape it and switched to Bry-97. Others who drank my beer either didn't notice or didn't care.

Couldn’t agree more never noticed the peach thing in 05. Sometimes I wish I could because I might like it.

I used 05 for years and never noticed it.  Thought 05 was very clean.  But once I tasted it I couldn't not taste it any more.  What does that mean?  Maybe there are only specific production runs that have it?  Maybe some people re more sensitive to it than others?  Maybe there are certain brewing processes that bring it out?  I have no idea, but I have found the way for me to avoid it is to avoid 05.
My palate is not very refined and I struggle to pick out exactly what the flaws in my beer are. I've been brewing for about 12 years now, so not talking about the easy off flavors that we eliminate through knowledge, experience, and solid fundamental brewing practices. I mean those subtle flaws that are the most difficult to identify and correct. I know there's something there I don't like but not always able to figure out exactly what it is, what I did to get it, or how to fix it. After hearing Denny talk about the cheap, fake, candy peach flavor was one of those epiphany moments where I actually knew what was off, why it was off, and how to avoid it in the future.  Thank you sir! 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 10:51:24 am »
Sensitivities are just part of a person's makeup.  I am so sensitive to clove that for the longest time I avoided any slightly phenolic yeasts or beers made with them, but after a few years, I overcame it with a liberal amount of high end commercial saisons….I still get the yips on many super heavy clove and banana hefeweizens, but that might be my next hurdle.  Some might say, why punish yourself, but I kind of look at it as trying to overcome a negative bias that allows me personally to experience what others see in a favorite.  Even when I can't come to fully appreciate it for my own enjoyment, I can appreciate what others find enjoyable.  (I avoid making extremely hopped styles for the same reason - tough on my palate, but I have had enough NEIPA's to appreciate what others enjoy in them)

As to the peach - yeah, I have it in my head, too, and I try to ignore it/forgive it in beers made with US-05, but I find that I just don't use that yeast very often anymore...life has its conundrums, for sure.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"