Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Helles (W-34/70)  (Read 4524 times)

TXFlyGuy

German Helles (W-34/70)
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:20:11 pm »
Okay...here we go.
Kegged this beer a couple days a go. The grain was mostly German Pils, with some Vienna added. The yeast was W-34/70. Hops were Mt. Hood 6% AA.

We shot for 22-24 IBU's. The OG was 1.056, FG 1.016.

The flavor profile (yes, still needs to age) is very malt forward, with a subtle yeast accent. The hops are subdued. Very smooth, well balanced. But does not quite have that "clean & crisp" character that I like. The nose is very malty.

Added gelatin 26 hours ago, to help clear it out. Right now, it is bright and clear. Nearly as good as any commercial example. But the photo shows a wet moisture laden glass, so it looks a bit hazy (it is not).

To refresh your memory, this is the double batch brew that we split, Kolsch / Helles. Same grains and hops, different yeast.

To my surprise, this beer has just a slight hint of sweetness. But in the fermenter, I never detected any sweetness at all towards the end.

It will improve with time. Overall, a very drinkable beer. But not a grand champion winner.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:52:14 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: German Helles (W-34/70)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:07:28 pm »
The beer looks great. It looks like your FG is a little high with about 70% attenuation. That might be why it doesn’t seem too crisp and a bit sweet, but a Helles is more tilted towards the malty side than a German Pils. My current Helles on tap had a strong sulfur aroma (another thread) and just cleared up in the last couple of days. So, maybe some time is all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:24:25 pm »
The beer looks great. It looks like your FG is a little high with about 70% attenuation. That might be why it doesn’t seem too crisp and a bit sweet, but a Helles is more tilted towards the malty side than a German Pils. My current Helles on tap had a strong sulfur aroma (another thread) and just cleared up in the last couple of days. So, maybe some time is all that is needed.

The finish in this beer is very smooth, with no lingering bitterness. I think the OG and FG are pretty close, as the numbers can range from 1.045-1.051 for OG, and 1.008-1.014 for FG. We were just a tad on the high end for both.

The ABV is 5.1%

Tomorrow a bottle of Premium Helles (Munich) will be opened up for a side-by-side comparison.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:49:58 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 05:16:54 am »
Aside from the 70% AA which I agree is a little low, a lot of people subscribe to the idea that it's best to start these beers off "warm" and then lower them to fermentation temps. If you want "crispness, start your fermentation off at (or very near, or even a little below) your targeted fermentation temp. I don't recall from your original post but for dry yeast I would have pitched 2 packets for a 1.050ish lager at around 48 degrees after 2 minutes of pure o2.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 05:23:28 am »
Aside from the 70% AA which I agree is a little low, a lot of people subscribe to the idea that it's best to start these beers off "warm" and then lower them to fermentation temps. If you want "crispness, start your fermentation off at (or very near, or even a little below) your targeted fermentation temp. I don't recall from your original post but for dry yeast I would have pitched 2 packets for a 1.050ish lager at around 48 degrees after 2 minutes of pure o2.

Why the O2 with dry yeast, Keith?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 05:45:22 am »

We double pitched, 2 packets and followed the instructions published by Fermentis.

Filled the FV about halfway full, pitched the 34/70, then continued filling. The temp was around 68 degrees. Then the FV was placed in the freezer, at 57 F. It stayed at 57 until it was crashed at 32 for 7 days.

I think my definition of crispness would be the dryness of the beer, or lack of lingering sweetness.

This Helles is very close in the overall profile...just not as dry as I would have liked. But later today we will compare the Weihenstephaner Premium Pils in a sibe-by-side taste test. And we have some fresh Spaten too for further testing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:08:38 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline BrewBama

German Helles (W-34/70)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 05:48:51 am »
That’s one of the beautiful aspects of this hobby: brewing, tweaking, rebrewing, tweaking, etc.  ...until you get it just like you like it.

... a lot of people subscribe to the idea that it's best to start these beers off "warm" and then lower them to fermentation temps.

Most of the time I try to pitch at fermentation temp but I must admit I have been guilty of pitching ~5*F higher and continue lowering the temp in the ferm chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:03:39 am by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 06:56:11 am »
For lagers the pitch rate for dry should be 1 gram/ liter for beer about 12P.

So 2 packs is a the way to go for a lager.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 07:10:48 am »

Their website claims an AA of 80-84%.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 07:21:40 am »
Maybe a little gypsum might crisp it up.  Try dosing a pint.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 07:27:13 am »
This Helles is very close in the overall profile...just not as dry as I would have liked. But later today we will compare the Weihenstephaner Premium Pils in a sibe-by-side taste test. And we have some fresh Spaten too for further testing.

Helles is different than Pils
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 08:43:33 am »

Attenuation ratings for yeast are simply a way of comparing one yeast to another.  They do not necessarily reflect the attenution you'll get.  That depends a lot on the wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 09:51:10 am »

Attenuation ratings for yeast are simply a way of comparing one yeast to another.  They do not necessarily reflect the attenution you'll get.  That depends a lot on the wort.

With an OG of 1.056, and the above info on procedure, what would you have estimated for a FG?

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 09:54:06 am »

Helles is different than Pils

Yes, and that is why this is a Helles. The info online listed Weihenstephaner Original as a perfect Munich Helles. Also listed, Spaten, Paulaner, Ayinger, etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:58:05 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 10:04:05 am »

With an OG of 1.056, and the above info on procedure, what would you have estimated for a FG?

I don't estimate FG....i measure it.  At least the first few times I make a recipe.  After that, I have a few data points that let me make an educated guess .
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell