Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Helles (W-34/70)  (Read 4492 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
German Helles (W-34/70)
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 10:31:00 am »
The Tips and Tricks website is dated Oct ‘19.  Both processes are described and given equal weight IMO:

“E2U PRODUCTS

Save time. Get comfort. Act green.

With our E2U active dry yeasts, you can pitch directly or you can rehydrate; depending on your equipment, habits and feelings. This innovative range gives you the opportunity to save time and make your life easier, and by using less water, energy and detergent, to contribute to sustainability. Any process you choose, we ensure you the highest standards of quality, productivity and security.”

They go on to describe their recommended processes for each.

I choose direct pitch as they describe (fill partially, stop, pitch, wait, complete filling) because it’s just easier for me and I get great results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:39:19 am by BrewBama »

TXFlyGuy

Re: German Helles (W-34/70)
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 11:16:09 am »
Their website does state that for lagers, expect 30 hour lag times for visible fermentation to start.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
German Helles (W-34/70)
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2020, 11:47:45 am »
Their website does state that for lagers, expect 30 hour lag times for visible fermentation to start.
The 30 hour lag is not normal. I pitch a single pack into 2.7 gallons of wort have a krausen in less than 24 hours. I don’t stare at it to know the exact time but activity starts well before the krausen.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 12:21:59 pm »
FTR I don't rehydrate! I also should know better that to argue with Denny. I bet his wife doesn't allow him to argue at home and so he has to take it out here.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 01:53:01 pm »
FTR I don't rehydrate! I also should know better that to argue with Denny. I bet his wife doesn't allow him to argue at home and so he has to take it out here.  ;)

It'smore that she's always right (really!) so I have nothing to argue about.  And I'm not arguing....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 01:59:51 pm »

It'smore that she's always right (really!) so I have nothing to argue about.  And I'm not arguing....;)

When Momma's happy, everybody is happy.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 06:15:27 am »
I have a refrigerator magnet that says "I knew when I married her she was Mrs. Right but I didn't realize her first name was Always."  Surprisingly SWMBO wasn't bothered by it.  :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 07:39:54 am »
I have a refrigerator magnet that says "I knew when I married her she was Mrs. Right but I didn't realize her first name was Always."  Surprisingly SWMBO wasn't bothered by it.  :)

Paul

We all know that women really rule the world...or at least we let them think they do.  ;D

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 08:48:37 am »

As the saying goes----

There are 2 theories about arguing with women, and neither one works.   :)
Ralph R.

Big Monk

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2020, 07:30:32 am »
This Helles is very close in the overall profile...just not as dry as I would have liked. But later today we will compare the Weihenstephaner Premium Pils in a sibe-by-side taste test. And we have some fresh Spaten too for further testing.

Helles is different than Pils

Yes, and that is why this is a Helles. The info online listed Weihenstephaner Original as a perfect Munich Helles. Also listed, Spaten, Paulaner, Ayinger, etc.

Sorry didn't realize Weihenstephaner Premium Pils is a helles. Seems weird to name a helles that...

It's not. W Original Premium is a Helles.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2020, 08:03:21 pm »
This Helles is very close in the overall profile...just not as dry as I would have liked. But later today we will compare the Weihenstephaner Premium Pils in a sibe-by-side taste test. And we have some fresh Spaten too for further testing.

Helles is different than Pils

Yes, and that is why this is a Helles. The info online listed Weihenstephaner Original as a perfect Munich Helles. Also listed, Spaten, Paulaner, Ayinger, etc.

Sorry didn't realize Weihenstephaner Premium Pils is a helles. Seems weird to name a helles that...

It's not. W Original Premium is a Helles.

The actual beer referenced is Original Premium. Typo on my part. Yes, this is a Helles.