Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH Testing Solution viability  (Read 4736 times)

Offline NellyP03

• 1st Kit
Re: pH Testing Solution viability
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2020, 02:29:13 am »
I'd go for the cheaper pH strips route rather than use digital meters. https://www.optimainstitute.com/water/ph-strips.html Had a few disappointments with those back in the day, better to trust what your eye detects when you pin the strip against the color chart. But strips have an expiration date too as I know of, it mostly has to do with when you open them. But you can use them for more than brewing, so there shouldn't be issues with the final use terms, I guess.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 05:09:29 am »
I'd go for the cheaper pH strips route rather than use digital meters. https://www.optimainstitute.com/water/ph-strips.html Had a few disappointments with those back in the day, better to trust what your eye detects when you pin the strip against the color chart. But strips have an expiration date too as I know of, it mostly has to do with when you open them. But you can use them for more than brewing, so there shouldn't be issues with the final use terms, I guess.

The paper pH strips aren't a whole lot better than a wild guess in my experience.  Hard to see much difference between tan and tan and tan.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 05:45:21 am »

The paper pH strips aren't a whole lot better than a wild guess in my experience.  Hard to see much difference between tan and tan and tan.

I agree.  The paper strips aren’t very accurate and there are so many good choices out there for a much more accurate pH measurement.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline NellyP03

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 08:06:28 am »
Can't contradict cause I'm no expert, didn't try all options, but I would take this route due to costs, honestly.

narvin

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 08:17:47 am »
in my experience, even the pricey strips were close to useless.  Using BrunWater gets me within 0.2 of my target pH, which is more accurate than they were.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 08:22:21 am »
Can't contradict cause I'm no expert, didn't try all options, but I would take this route due to costs, honestly.

Low cost isn't worth it if the results are worthless
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 08:41:11 am »
IMHO, pH test strips aren't worth the paper they are printed on (pun intended).  You can most likely find a reasonably priced pH meter online and you will appreciate the benefits of using one.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 09:27:31 am »
Years agoI bought the strips, used them a couple times and never again - I couldn’t tell the subtle shade differences to make them meaningful in practice.  Water calculators have sufficed, even though I have a pH meter now (and rarely ever use it).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"