Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Crack at Building my own Recipe (Partial Mash Saison)  (Read 845 times)

Offline jambeau

• 1st Kit
First Crack at Building my own Recipe (Partial Mash Saison)
« on: April 05, 2020, 12:43:56 pm »
New brewer here, and I wanted to try to build my own recipe for a saison.  I dont have the equipment for all grain yet, so I am doing partial mash.  Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Grains:
-5# Pilsen DME
-1.5# Vienna Malt
-1# Wheat Malt
-0.5# Table sugar
-0.25# Acidulated malt
-0.25# Flaked oat

Hops:
-60' 1.25 oz Styrian golding
-5' 0.75 oz Styrian golding, 1 oz Kent golding, 1 Whirlfloc tab.

Yeast:
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: First Crack at Building my own Recipe (Partial Mash Saison)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:40:26 pm »
Do you know what temp you want to ferment at?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline jambeau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:25:25 pm »
Due to a lack of equipment, I'm constrained to fermenting with ambient air of around 70F.  Granted the beer temp will be slightly higher than this I'd imagine due to metabolic processes of the yeast putting off heat.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 04:24:52 pm »
Due to a lack of equipment, I'm constrained to fermenting with ambient air of around 70F.  Granted the beer temp will be slightly higher than this I'd imagine due to metabolic processes of the yeast putting off heat.

Try to keep it under 70 for at least the first few days if at all possible.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 06:21:08 am »

Actually, a saison is a good beer to brew if you don’t have a good method of controlling the fermentation temperature.  I’m reading the book: “Brew Like A Monk”, by Stan Hieronymus, in which he tells how the monks dating back hundreds of years brewed and fermented in open tanks with no temperature control at all.  In fact, even today, many Belgian ales (American and European) start at 70° and are allowed to rise into the high 70’s or low 80’s over a 3-5 day period.  The brewers are looking for that fruity ester production.

One of my first all-grain beers was a saison, long before I built my fermentation chamber.  It turned out pretty good!

Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉