Author Topic: Big Mistake?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline cervesamark80

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Big Mistake?
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »
Hi,
I did something really stupid. after brewing my first batch of beer, I got lazy and didn't clean my primary fermenter right away and left it for a few days.. and horrible bacitera and whatever else started growing and smells really bad.. I've cleaned it twice with bleach, but still can't get that smell out... should I just give up and buy a new fermenter??

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
    • View Profile
Re: Big Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
I assume this is a plastic bucket fermenter?  If so, then I would go ahead and replace it. If you ever decide to get into sour mashes or brewing lambics, you can use the stinky one.

Offline cervesamark80

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
yes, i did forget to mention it was plastic.. but thank you for the adivise.. I think I'll buy a new.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
yes, i did forget to mention it was plastic.. but thank you for the adivise.. I think I'll buy a new.

The risk vs. the cost to replace it is a no brainer in my mind.  Replace it and have peace of mind.
Ron Price

Offline cervesamark80

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
I know its a dumb question.. But I'm a beginer.. and I thought maybe it was still either able to be washed off, or that it wouldn't effect my next brew..

Offline rep

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
Your old bucket will work fine to mix sanitizer, rinse bottles and use as a slop bucket.  Welcome to the hobby.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
I got buckets out the ying-yang. Yes- welcome to the hobby! ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:43:23 AM »
I got buckets out the ying-yang. Yes- welcome to the hobby! ;)

Wow! That's one hell of a trick! ;D Seriously, you will have a half dozen buckets or more floating around before long and you will always need one more.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline edward

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »

When you buy another bucket go for the larger size (7.9g) that are usually sold for wine making.

Also,  I've had buckets that got bad infections that took a while to clean and sanitize.  After sanitizing with a couple of different chemicals for a long time it was okay.  But it is usually best to play it safe and get a new one.

beveragebob

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »
Why not scrub it out, rinse and soak in bleach for a few days? After that rinse real good because most bleach these days contain chloramines. Then when you are ready to use it again soak it in iodaphor, rinse or not depending on your concentration and be confident that it ready to do it's job.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »
IMO if you can't clean a dirty bucket you will get a contaminated batch eventually. Wash it with oxiclean and a terry cloth good and give it an over night soak full of water and a cup of bleach then let it air dry. Good as now if it's not scratched up.

Offline lostralph

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
If you still want to try an clean it you could try soaking it in a strong solution of PBW, I've had some good luck doing that with a mash tun I took a couple of days to empty :P.
The High Plains Draughters - OKC

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
  • Making the world better -- one beer at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
Buckets are cheap. Get a new one, and remember the lesson. And there are plenty of uses for such a bucket that don't care if it smells a bit. That stuff seeps into the plastic. That's why most of us move up to glass carboys pretty quickly.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
I moved from carboys to buckets. They're cheap, easy to clean, and cheap.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline chezteth

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 06:12:14 AM »
Definitely get a new bucket.  It's just not worth the risk of contaminating a batch of beer.  Like others have said, the smelly bucket can be used for other purposes so no sense in throwing it out.

Brandon