Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American IPA ingredients  (Read 3638 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
American IPA ingredients
« on: April 05, 2020, 02:43:25 pm »
I don't brew IPA's in general and American IPA's specifically. With that being said, I need some suggestions/opinions for grain, hops and yeast for an American IPA. My thoughts are 2row brewers but I have no clue as to which to use. Hops? I'm stumped. I tend to brew using 1 maybe 2 hops, usually noble, in any given recipe so I don't have the experience in blending new world hops for this style. Pretty much the same for yeast but would think I would use a high attenuating fruit forward  one, but again, I don't have the experience in using those varieties.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: American IPA ingredients
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:33 pm »
I don't brew IPA's in general and American IPA's specifically. With that being said, I need some suggestions/opinions for grain, hops and yeast for an American IPA. My thoughts are 2row brewers but I have no clue as to which to use. Hops? I'm stumped. I tend to brew using 1 maybe 2 hops, usually noble, in any given recipe so I don't have the experience in blending new world hops for this style. Pretty much the same for yeast but would think I would use a high attenuating fruit forward  one, but again, I don't have the experience in using those varieties.

Any ideas are greatl appreciated!!
This style screams hops. Clean yeast without esters is more appropriate.  For West Coast IPA use PNW hops, like Centennial, Cascade (mosaic is my current favorite, but I also love Amarillo) and all those other citrusy varieties.  Rahr Pale malt works great, but I usually add some crystal (10%) for color and some Munich because I like the flavor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 03:06:56 pm »

This style screams hops. Clean yeast without esters is more appropriate.  For West Coast IPA use PNW hops, like Centennial, Cascade (mosaic is my current favorite, but I also love Amarillo) and all those other citrusy varieties.  Rahr Pale malt works great, but I usually add some crystal (10%) for color and some Munich because I like the flavor.

Do you use hop combinations or do you tend to use a single variety for multiple additions throughout the recipe? I've never used Rahr and will read up on that one.
Thanks for your response!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:14:40 pm »

Do you use hop combinations or do you tend to use a single variety for multiple additions throughout the recipe? I've never used Rahr and will read up on that one.

I make a TON of PNW style IPA.  I prefer hop combos over single hops.  Gives the beer more depth.  For yeast, I almost always use WY1450.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:50:43 pm »

I make a TON of PNW style IPA.  I prefer hop combos over single hops.  Gives the beer more depth.  For yeast, I almost always use WY1450.

I have been wanting to use 1450 and maybe that will be the one for this upcoming recipe. Also  need to find some hops combo's that pare well together. Last thing I want to do is try and create a combination that sucks together. Of course, that's part of the fun of creating recipes.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:20:11 pm »
I have been reading on using sugar in an American IPA. I'm not really sure which to use, specifically corn sugar or white table sugar which I believe is cane.
Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:35 pm »
I have been reading on using sugar in an American IPA. I'm not really sure which to use, specifically corn sugar or white table sugar which I believe is cane.

Table sugar is fine.  I use sugar in double or triple IPA,  but not a standard one.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 03:04:02 pm »

Table sugar is fine.  I use sugar in double or triple IPA,  but not a standard one.

Good to know! Actually putting together a double.
I am just now putting together the fermentables and am using Pale, maybe some Munich and certainly table sugar. I was thinking 5% sugar is plenty.

Thoughts

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 03:07:24 pm »

Good to know! Actually putting together a double.
I am just now putting together the fermentables and am using Pale, maybe some Munich and certainly table sugar. I was thinking 5% sugar is plenty.

Thoughts

Sounds good to me!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 04:52:02 am »
So now I'm working on the water profile for this beer as follows:
   Base water= RO
   Ca 85
   Mg 10
   Na 49
   SO4 223
   CL2 77
   HCO3 2.4
   ALK 1.9
Sulfate/Chloride ratio 2.9
Sulfate/Chloride balance= bitter

Denny and/or Martin, will  these salt additions work.

I basically started with Los Angeles, Ca East water profile and then played around with the salts.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:54:06 am by HopDen »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 07:49:16 am »
So now I'm working on the water profile for this beer as follows:
   Base water= RO
   Ca 85
   Mg 10
   Na 49
   SO4 223
   CL2 77
   HCO3 2.4
   ALK 1.9
Sulfate/Chloride ratio 2.9
Sulfate/Chloride balance= bitter

Denny and/or Martin, will  these salt additions work.

I basically started with Los Angeles, Ca East water profile and then played around with the salts.

Thanks!

Looks OK to me

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 03:18:49 pm »
I don't know what I don't know so...... If I may ask maybe one final question.

In my recipe I am using 42# of grain and 39.29oz of hops.

I've never seen an input ratio for hops to grain, oz's to pounds. Is there such a thing? If so, am I out of wack with my hop additions?

Bittering hops 1.13oz Mosaic 12.25% AA @60mins
                    1.81oz Centennial 10%AA @20
                    1.81oz Citra 12%AA @20
                    1.81oz Mosaic 12.25%AA @20

.91oz ea. of same combo @10 mins

2oz ea of same combo @ 194*

4oz ea of same combo dry hop 3 days
                     4oz ea of same combo dry hop 4 days

I hope that was easy to understand!!

Thanks again!!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 05:03:21 pm »
For 5 gallons of ipa which is usually near 12# grain I’m usually between 9 and 13 oz of total hops.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 06:06:23 pm »

Ever use other sugar like turbinado? Or honey?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:24 pm »

Ever use other sugar like turbinado? Or honey?

As for me, never in a IPA. I don’t brew them often but I do use honey in a Honey Lavender Saison I developed a few years ago. Orange Blossom and it carry’s through with the lavender.