Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American IPA ingredients  (Read 3569 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: American IPA ingredients
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 11:04:24 am »

My last IPA was a "throwback" American IPA.

6 gallon batch at 77% efficiency

• 88.1% Pale 2 Row (13lb)
  • 6.8% Munich II (1lb)
  • 5.1% Victory (.75lb)

• 5ml Hopshot 60min
  • 1oz Cascade 10min
  • 1oz Cascade 5min
  • 3oz Cascade whirlpool for 20min
  • 3oz Cascade Dry Hop for 3 Days

Used London Ale WLP013 yeast

A lot of lemongrass came though, really happy with the malt bill. I liked the balance of malt and hop character. It was only about 44 ibu, and the bitterness ratio was .629 - so it wasn't an over the top IPA. I entered it into NHBC, but disappointed that I won't be able to see how it would be judged.
That's an old school Harpoon IPA clone if I've ever seen one. Great recipe - I've brewed very similar to this many times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You think so? I always assumed Harpoon used maybe 1/3 that much hops, and I only ever had that beer when visiting Boston, so I don't think my memories are of non-fresh beer. It's my go-to example of a good "IPA" that is neither West Coast or "New England," even though it is technically very much from New England. That brewery was fun to visit way back 10+ years ago when it was free and sorta small.

There's definitely more late hops in this recipe, but that's the grain bill and it is Cascade all the way through. WLP013 is as close as you can get to their house yeast without growing up a culture from UFO.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer