Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone here do a saison?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
Anyone here do a saison?
« on: April 08, 2020, 12:46:57 pm »
The temps in my apartment are getting higher these days so it just might be a perfect time to go for it. I also have a bunch of Strisselspalt hops in the freezer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:04:27 am by coonmanxdog »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone here do a saison?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 01:47:26 pm »
The temps in my apartment are getting higher these days so it just might be a perfect time to go for it. I also have a binch of Strisselspalt hops in the freezer.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't necessarily want high temps for a saison...at least at first.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 01:58:14 pm »
I’m brewing mine on Sat. I like to pitch mine in the 63-65 range. I have a cool corner with ceramic tile. It keeps it pretty cool. I like to leave it cool for a couple days and pull it to the heat vent and cover that with a big box. It will run up to the low to mid 70’s. It usually takes it 7-10 days to hit the last few points, 565 ya know.  Saison is one of my favorite style no doubt.
Jeff B

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:06:23 am »
The temps in my apartment are getting higher these days so it just might be a perfect time to go for it. I also have a binch of Strisselspalt hops in the freezer.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't necessarily want high temps for a saison...at least at first.

Well the only control that I have over temperature is the fact that the apartment is cooler in the morning and then it warms up during the day. So there is that. I might just try one anyways. I will be brewing with my regular yeast on Monday because there is a cold front moving through for a few days...

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:24:43 pm »

Well the only control that I have over temperature is the fact that the apartment is cooler in the morning and then it warms up during the day. So there is that. I might just try one anyways. I will be brewing with my regular yeast on Monday because there is a cold front moving through for a few days...

Whatever your "regular yeast" is, it's kind of hard to make a proper Saison without a Saison or other expressive Belgian yeast strain.  DuPont lets their fermentation temp rise naturally into the 80's.  My practice is to pitch at 70, let it start for a few days, and ramp it up a couple degrees a day into the mid-80's.  I started making Saisons with the DuPont strain, but it's a little finicky, and really needs higher temps to finish out.  Lately my go-to Saison yeast is Belle Saison.  It's a kick-ass yeast, drop-dead reliable, and ramping the temps up to 80 or higher gives me similar results as the DuPont strain.  The easiest device for heating a stand-alone carboy or bucket is the brewbelt.  It'll get your fermenter to about 10º higher than ambient temp.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org