Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pils with Non-Traditional Hops  (Read 1023 times)

Offline SeanAY

• 1st Kit
Pils with Non-Traditional Hops
« on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:50 pm »
So I've got a pack of lager yeast that's probably got to be used by early May, and I'm thinking a pils or other lager with whatever hops I've got on hand for a five-gallon batch.

I've got a s***load of Willamette and Cascade, and some other odds and ends - less than an ounce of Perle, Tettnang, Simcoe and Northern Brewer.  From what I've seen Willamette can be a decent substitute for the more "traditional" hops.  I don't foresee using the Simcoe for this at all.

Which brings me back to the Cascade.  I was thinking something like 1.5 oz for bittering, but I don't want to overwhelm the other hops with that flavor.  I ALSO want to keep the beer overall as a more refreshing, crisp alternative.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pils with Non-Traditional Hops
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 01:46:46 pm »
I doubt you'll get much if any flavor from bittering with Cascade
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 03:42:34 pm »
Simcoe and cascade in an IPL?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline SeanAY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 03:51:41 pm »
Like I said, I’ve got Simcoe but don’t plan on using it. Just giving a full idea of the stock I have to deal with.

Maybe something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 04:01:25 pm »
Looks good
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SeanAY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:27:11 am »
I ended up making the above... mashed at 149 and tossed in a 2.1L starter at 56 F, with the lager now comfortably resting at 52 F for the foreseeable future.

I think it's going to end up pretty crisp, as my mash temp was a little low to start. Ended up at 1.051 OG, so I was a touch less efficient than I would have wanted. Also my volume into the fermenter was low, all things considered. I lost nearly a gallon in trub! I assume it's the late hop volume contributing to that, as I recently did two pale ales with similar results.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:22:59 am »
That looks pretty good. I, for one, don't really care all that much about whether a hop is slated as being for ales or lagers. If I like the smell of it then in it goes. Just put some Tradition in a golden ale yesterday. Finished with Strisselspalt. Your recipe looks good.