Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand London ESB Yeast  (Read 3331 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Lallemand London ESB Yeast
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:25 am »
I have used this a couple times now but not really sure how I feel about comparing it to 1968/002. A couple things I will note that may help is that Lallemand pitching rates are a bit higher than other dry yeasts (50-100 g/hl) vs SafAle at 50-80 g/hl so using a bit more than you normally would could really help since it's no secret that several of Lallemand dry yeasts are slow starters. Also this yeast does not like to get cool, keep it above 65* and to push the yeast character it does have, closer to 70*. I have also noted as others that it does not flocculate well. Other than that and the need to adjust recipe and/or mash temp I would use it again but on selective styles. Maybe heavier Browns, Porter, Stout, Bitter and not styles that many like to use 1968/002 because of their performance and properties.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:37:11 pm by PORTERHAUS »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:16 pm »
Save it for a sweet stout or maybe a cider.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 03:20:52 am »
I took snapshots of Lallemand's flavor profile wheels for London ESB and Windsor, but I can't figure out how to attach them. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 08:05:12 am »
I took snapshots of Lallemand's flavor profile wheels for London ESB and Windsor, but I can't figure out how to attach them.

You can't directly post them on the forum.  You have to upload them by using something like Tapatalk.  Found this out a while back.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 05:10:00 am »
You can't directly post them on the forum.  You have to upload them by using something like Tapatalk.  Found this out a while back.

Thanks Goose!  From looking at their flavor wheels it is clear that London ESB is well more neutral than Windsor.  Personally I don't find Windsor to contribute much "ESB like" character, so I have my doubts as to the benefit of giving London ESB a try.

I'm interested in going out on a limb and giving WLP041 a try in an ESB clone attempt some day.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:14:49 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:27 am »
I wonder if anyone has used regular old Muntons for an ESB. One of the best batches I ever made according to my friends was made with it. It will also leave that residual sweetness because it does not ferment the maltotriose, same as the Llalemand ESB yeast. I have enjoyed many a beer that I made with it but don't know what others think. It is always cheap and readily available.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 07:24:06 am »
ESB, Windsor, S-33, and Munton’s are all very closely related. I imagine similar beers can be brewed with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 08:04:13 am »
ESB, Windsor, S-33, and Munton’s are all very closely related. I imagine similar beers can be brewed with them.

Didn't S-33 come from the old Edme's yeast? I used to use that quite a bit way back in the day.... Went off like a rocket every time.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 08:46:29 am »
The yeast included in English Diastatic Malt Extract (EDME) Company kits is said to have become S-33.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 08:59:07 am »
The yeast included in English Diastatic Malt Extract (EDME) Company kits is said to have become S-33.

Thanks for that. I would like your post if there were a way to do that. I now know what EDME stands for. Thanks.

I once used a 7 year old pack of Edme and made a starter with it. Dropped the whole pack into the starter and it took off immediately. The batch that I then made with that starter showed activity within probably an hour or two and primary blew through in just over a day's time. Man that stuff was like rocket fuel. Haven't made any batches with it recently but it sure was reliable yeast to say the least....