Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging too early?  (Read 3412 times)

Offline wrssqb

• 1st Kit
Kegging too early?
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:05:50 pm »
I brewed an Ordinary Bitter on Tuesday, OG 1.035, and used an S-04 slurry that I had in a refrigerator and fed in a starter for 24 hours before pitching. Fermentation was very active when I checked it the morning after brewing.

The yeast seemed to really chew through this wort. It dropped from 1.036 to 1.011 in only two days (tracked with a Tilt hydrometer). Four days after brewing, it's at final gravity of 1.009. It's fairly clear (decent for S-04, I think) and smells great.

Is it a bad idea to keg it and start cold crashing it today, only four days after brewing? Is there a good reason to wait? I can't recall another brew finishing this quickly, and I usually abide by the standard "two week" model before considering kegging, so this one has me second-guessing myself.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Kegging too early?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »
The main detractor in kegging too early is the amount of yeast solids your keg will have. That's not a big deal to me. I actually keg all of my lagers early so that the keg will be spunded.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:12 pm »
I don't necessarily think you have to stick to any time-based timeline.  Gravity should really tell you when to transfer the beer.  If you REALLY need to transfer it, I think the gravity says it would be okay.  If it were me, I'd probably wait at least one week before sending it to a keg although there is no specific reason for it other than I would want to make sure the beer was absolutely at it's final gravity and also to allow yeast to settle as much as possible.  If you were spunding the rules would be different but if not, I would give it a little more time.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 04:39:18 pm »
I usually ferment at 66F, and then allow a free rise to 70F for 2 or 3 days before crashing to the low 40s. Another 3 to 5 days to drop clear and then into the keg. If the pipeline is running low I will skip the crash and keg. The main difference is a pint or 2 of cloudy beer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 08:14:14 am »
The only reason I would wait maybe a week before kegging is to make sure the yeast has enough time to "clean up its mess", i.e. re-absorb diacetyl and drop bright.  If you don't taste any diacetyl in the beer after this short time frame, then my opinion is go ahead and keg it.

I have an Irish red ale that has been in the primary for 9 days now.  A couple days ago it was at 5.0 Plato and yesterday 4.85.  Might take a chance on kegging today since it is probably done, but a gravity reading will tell me that.  It tastes pretty damn good right now and a couple extra days will help drop the yeast out a a bit more (WY 1084).
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 04:48:04 pm »
We always cold crash in the FV for a minimum of 5 to 7 days before kegging.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 07:54:27 am »
The main detractor in kegging too early is the amount of yeast solids your keg will have. That's not a big deal to me. I actually keg all of my lagers early so that the keg will be spunded.

Martin, are all your kegs equipped with a spunding valve?  Thanks
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!