Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is using Tapatalk a security risk?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Is using Tapatalk a security risk?
« on: March 29, 2020, 07:48:30 am »
I got this email from Homebrewtalk. They use Tapatalk also.

"Due to concerns about security and privacy from the company that created the app we think it’s an absolute necessity to cease using it immediately."   

This also discontinues the Tapatalk tie in.

Offline BrewBama

Re: Is using Tapatalk a security risk?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 11:25:26 am »
I got the same message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:32:58 am »
I got the same message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have searched the internet high and low looking for details. There are none. None on Homebrewtalk. Their statement is just “due to security issues”. None on Tapatalk support. None on Google or Twitter. You’d think if there were security issues other forums would be talking about it or there would be some talk somewhere.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:28:07 am »
Back when they announced this on HBT, I posted asking whether they could share details that might be of concern to those using Tapatalk for other forums.   The response was something to the effect that the problem was within their branded app and its Tapatalk tie-in, and that they were unaware of any issues with Tapatalk itself.  I'm not nearly tech savvy enough to know it this makes any sense.  I then asked if it might be possible for them to just establish a tie-in with Tapatalk from their website, like this and every other forum does, and was told not to hold my breath.  That said, since the only thing I really found Tapatalk necessary for was posting pictures on this forum, I've uninstalled Tapatalk until we have better information.  It's getting too humid to take good beer pics anyway.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 02:04:47 pm »
Hey everyone-

The AHA's Web Department is looking into this currently. As of now, we have yet to find anything eluding to security issues tied to Tapatalk's privacy policy.

If the email HomebrewTalk sent out provided further information than the copy in the original post, please post a screenshot here so I can pass that along to the Web Department.

Cheers,
Duncan

American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 03:01:50 pm »
Below is the entire contents of the email from Homebrewtalk:

"Due to concerns about security and privacy from the company that created the app we think it’s an absolute necessity to cease using it immediately."   

This also discontinues the Tapatalk tie in.   BUT, if you have a mobile browser you can still use the forum.  This software is very mobile browser friendly and has the full functionality of the site.

You can set up an icon/link on your phone's home page and with one touch be online.   The link tells you how to set it up via android/Chrome.    iPhone's should have a place to save to Home page also.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cant-log-in-to-mobile-app.676401/page-2#post-8816392

Cheers!

HBT_Admin

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 03:03:56 pm »
I believe the quoted material references this announcement on the forum itself.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/hbt-app-turned-off.676385/