Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GABF & COVID-19  (Read 4325 times)

Offline firedome_56

• 1st Kit
GABF & COVID-19
« on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:04 am »
As I sit in self isolation, I suddenly thought what is going to happen with Social Distancing & GABF?
Are there plans in case this isolation drags on to September?
I'm not sure who I might ask this question of but it's probably something we should be thinking about.
Member Sales comes in June, if I remember correctly. Will tickets be sold with conditional return? Will GABF be rescheduled?
Not panicking yet but beginning to worry about the result of 40k people mixing elbow to elbow then returning to their respective homes to kick off Wave 2.
Not being paranoid but cautious.

TXFlyGuy

Re: GABF & COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 11:33:24 am »
As I sit in self isolation, I suddenly thought what is going to happen with Social Distancing & GABF?
Are there plans in case this isolation drags on to September?
I'm not sure who I might ask this question of but it's probably something we should be thinking about.
Member Sales comes in June, if I remember correctly. Will tickets be sold with conditional return? Will GABF be rescheduled?
Not panicking yet but beginning to worry about the result of 40k people mixing elbow to elbow then returning to their respective homes to kick off Wave 2.
Not being paranoid but cautious.

Based on everything in the news media, the lifting of restrictions will take many months. Note that Japan even canceled the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics.
It looks doubtful that the GABF will take place as scheduled...at least not this year.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:42 am »
Yes, there is planning and discussion.  AFAIK, no decision yet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:49 am »
I live in CO. Apparently the Governor is preparing to lift certain restrictions at the end of April. I would expect for most things to be back to normal here by the beginning of June but who knows.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:38:04 am »
I live in CO. Apparently the Governor is preparing to lift certain restrictions at the end of April. I would expect for most things to be back to normal here by the beginning of June but who knows.

To me the question is will people feel safe enough to attend events once restrictions are lifted?  Not sure I will.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:10 am »

To me the question is will people feel safe enough to attend events once restrictions are lifted?  Not sure I will.

Well if Denny doesn't feel safe we better cancel it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 11:39:52 am »

Not sure what that means....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 11:41:39 am »

Not sure what that means....

Ha!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 11:42:59 am »
All the talk about sports being played without fans in the stands, maybe even effecting the NFL season this fall, I would expect this and Homebrewcon (regardless of the notice posted yesterday) to be canceled or postponed. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:59:23 am »

That is the question. Dr. Fauci was pushing for lock down until a vaccine is developed, and that could take 18 months. No...we won’t be attending any group event like this. Not until the “all clear” signal comes.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »

That is the question. Dr. Fauci was pushing for lock down until a vaccine is developed, and that could take 18 months. No...we won’t be attending any group event like this. Not until the “all clear” signal comes.

Yep.  As much as I like drinking beer with friends, it's not worth risking my life for it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 12:08:27 pm »
I'll go. Will be so much more fun with less people there. Oh wait I guess it's getting cancelled...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:28:29 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »

Offline firedome_56

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 01:01:13 pm »
Well, I've only missed 1 in the last 8 years, but I'm afraid that GABF this Sept would be risky, if not for yourself certainly for the folks at home.
So far, I haven't heard the Gov Polis is expecting to "Open up May 1st with a Bang". I wouldn't feel safe until at least 30% of the population had been tested. That would take years at the current rate, much less if they were to get serious about it.
I dropped this same question on Brewers Friend hoping for some feed back.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:03:12 pm by firedome_56 »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »
Well, I've only missed 1 in the last 8 years, but I'm afraid that GABF this Sept would be risky, if not for yourself certainly for the folks at home.
So far, I haven't heard the Gov Polis is expecting to "Open up May 1st with a Bang". I wouldn't feel safe until at least 30% of the population had been tested. That would take years at the current rate, much less if they were to get serious about it.
I dropped this same question on AHA hoping for some feed back.

The video I just saw showed Bill Gates has a plan, for mass testing, and mass vaccinations. Then you are issued an “Immunity Document”, that will allow you to travel unrestricted.
So...GABF 2021!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 01:16:19 pm »
I dropped this same question on AHA hoping for some feed back.

The video I just saw showed Bill Gates has a plan, for mass testing, and mass vaccinations. Then you are issued an “Immunity Document”, that will allow you to travel unrestricted.
So...GABF 2021!

I want to go back to Germany for a long stay. I don't think that will happen until there is a vaccine, and I'm vaccinated, and can prove it.

Every expert has said that will take a year if all goes right, but it never all goes right, so 18 months is realistic. Fall of 2021 will be the earliest for my trip.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!