Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: GABF & COVID-19  (Read 4428 times)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: GABF & COVID-19
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 03:30:51 pm »
ya know... for how smart some of you guys are, you're really disappointing me with the unfounded fear of a virus... and thinking a vaccine is the answer.
2 things: 1. viruses mutate constantly so there is no way they can develop a vaccine that will be more than 50% effective. (see annual 'regular' flu vaccine efficiencies) 2. viruses and bacteria (germs) are everywhere, all the time. the 'regular' flu is always circulating and we don't think twice about going about our lives as we usually do. This isn't a 'germ' issue that's causing folks to get sick, its having a reduced immunity. the majority of folks (85+%) who are dying all have underlying conditions. quit believing what you see on TV and lets start using our brains again.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2020, 03:38:08 pm »
ya know... for how smart some of you guys are, you're really disappointing me with the unfounded fear of a virus... and thinking a vaccine is the answer.
2 things: 1. viruses mutate constantly so there is no way they can develop a vaccine that will be more than 50% effective. (see annual 'regular' flu vaccine efficiencies) 2. viruses and bacteria (germs) are everywhere, all the time. the 'regular' flu is always circulating and we don't think twice about going about our lives as we usually do. This isn't a 'germ' issue that's causing folks to get sick, its having a reduced immunity. the majority of folks (85+%) who are dying all have underlying conditions. quit believing what you see on TV and lets start using our brains again.
The average age of members on the AHA forum is 63, and are in the"high risk" demographic. ;)

Of the people in my life, several are seniors, a growing number are young children, and a handful have underlying conditions (cancer survivors, diabetics, etc.) They are my primary concern.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 05:17:10 pm »
Risk analysis aside, the mutation rate from preliminary data is relatively low so it can hopefully be more like a measles vaccine than a flu vaccine.  There's still a lot we don't know.  I got this from medical research, not tv.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 08:27:26 pm »

Vaccines that have been very effective.
Small Pox
Polio
Measles
And more.

Flu not so much.
Common cold no.

I've had many vaccines. I will get one for Covid-19.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 02:44:53 am »
The average age of members on the AHA forum is 63, and are in the"high risk" demographic. ;)

Of the people in my life, several are seniors, a growing number are young children, and a handful have underlying conditions (cancer survivors, diabetics, etc.) They are my primary concern.

Quite - it's not just about me. I've a  family member who was rushed into hospital for emergency heart surgery as this kicked off - I'd quite like them to a)not get Covid and b) be treated in a hospital that isn't completely overwhelmed by Covid patients. I also know people whose cancer treatment is on hold at the moment until the health system can cope and it's safer for them (being heavily immune-suppressed) to go to for treatment.

Also worth mentioning that men seem to be nearly twice as likely to die from this thing as women - and my experience of beer and homebrew events in the UK is that there's a strongly skewed ratio of men:women.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 07:04:23 am »

Vaccines that have been very effective.
Small Pox
Polio
Measles
And more.

Flu not so much.
Common cold no.

I've had many vaccines. I will get one for Covid-19.

From what is reported, this does mutate, although not as rapidly as the common flu virus. The common cold is also a virus, that mutates in minutes. That is why there is no cure, and there never will be, for the cold virus.

Vaccines for the flu virus are based on last years model. That is why the effectiveness is very limited in scope. And that's why we never get vaccinated.

Once you contract any virus, there is nothing you can do except "ride it out". You are better off staying at home, avoiding the hospital.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 11:01:10 am »
I guess I didn't realize how many old farts are in here, (FYI, I'm 49) I can understand the older crowd being a bit more careful. staying out of the hospital is always a good thing. but again, germs are always around us, this is really not that different. remember this is a corona virus, there are at least 6-20 variations of this that circulate constantly that are responsible for common colds and flus. So no vaccine will work to protect you from this. building up your immune system is your best bet. as for vaccines that have been effective... sorry 'effective vaccines' are a farce. if anything they have caused more issues than rectified and have killed many people, usually children. its just a cash cow for big pharma. fear mongering and shutting everything down is making the cure worse than the disease. there is something more nefarious going on here...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2020, 11:26:01 am »
I guess I didn't realize how many old farts are in here, (FYI, I'm 49) I can understand the older crowd being a bit more careful. staying out of the hospital is always a good thing. but again, germs are always around us, this is really not that different. remember this is a corona virus, there are at least 6-20 variations of this that circulate constantly that are responsible for common colds and flus. So no vaccine will work to protect you from this. building up your immune system is your best bet. as for vaccines that have been effective... sorry 'effective vaccines' are a farce. if anything they have caused more issues than rectified and have killed many people, usually children. its just a cash cow for big pharma. fear mongering and shutting everything down is making the cure worse than the disease. there is something more nefarious going on here...
Wouldn't the pub be a better place for this?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2020, 11:32:37 am »
Wouldn't the pub be a better place for this?

Yes.  I'm moving there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2020, 01:40:32 pm »
I would expect this and Homebrewcon (regardless of the notice posted yesterday) to be canceled or postponed.

I think you're right.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

narvin

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2020, 03:52:55 pm »
'effective vaccines' are a farce. if anything they have caused more issues than rectified and have killed many people, usually children. its just a cash cow for big pharma. fear mongering and shutting everything down is making the cure worse than the disease. there is something more nefarious going on here...

No.

Offline firedome_56

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:28 pm »
'effective vaccines' are a farce. if anything they have caused more issues than rectified and have killed many people, usually children. its just a cash cow for big pharma. fear mongering and shutting everything down is making the cure worse than the disease. there is something more nefarious going on here...

No.
Conspiracy Theories please exit at the next stop.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:16 am »
Let's stay away from all that stuff so we don't have to lock this threadl
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 11:21:16 am »
Since I happened to look up the flu effectiveness for the last few years yesterday the rates over the past two seasons would average to ~33%. If we cannot do better than 50% with a Covid-19 vaccine it isn't going to be useful.

As far as GABF, I'm not sure if it will cancel or not. I know they said using alcohol in a 60% concentration should be effective to kill the virus, but I've not yet been able to injest enough to reach that level. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 01:29:21 pm »
As far as GABF, I'm not sure if it will cancel or not. I know they said using alcohol in a 60% concentration should be effective to kill the virus, but I've not yet been able to injest enough to reach that level. ;)

Yet we keep trying every weekend.   ;D

/Long diatribe about vaccines/science and beliefs verses data, blah, blah, blah/Removed for the good of the community

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?