Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Historical Brewing Techniques by Lars Garshol now available!  (Read 1109 times)

Offline KRISTI

• 1st Kit
    • Brewers Publications
Historical Brewing Techniques by Lars Garshol now available!
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:18:11 am »
Hi All,
The American Homebrewers Association member presale for Historical Brewing Techniques: The Lost Art of Farmhouse Brewing is ending soon.

Take 30% off with discount code HistoricAHA and U.S. residents receive free standard shipping on their entire order with purchase of Historical Brewing Techniques.

https://www.brewerspublications.com/products/historical-brewing-techniques-the-lost-art-of-farmhouse-brewing

About the Book
Ancient brewing traditions and techniques have been passed generation to generation on farms throughout remote areas of northern Europe. With these traditions facing near extinction, author Lars Marius Garshol set out to explore and document the lost art of brewing using traditional local methods. Equal parts history, cultural anthropology, social science, and travelogue, this book describes brewing and fermentation techniques that are vastly different from modern craft brewing and preserves them for posterity and exploration. Learn about uncovering an unusual strain of yeast, called kveik, which can ferment a batch to completion in just 36 hours. Discover how to make keptinis by baking the mash in the oven. Explore using juniper boughs for various stages of the brewing process. Test your own hand by brewing recipes gleaned from years of travel and research in the farmlands of northern Europe. Meet the brewers and delve into the ingredients that have kept these traditional methods alive. Discover the regional and stylistic differences between farmhouse brewers today and throughout history.

About the Author
Lars Marius Garshol is a Norwegian software engineer that travels the world to learn more about beer. Garshol spent five years researching various aspects of brewing at remote farmhouses throughout Scandinavia and the Baltic countries. He is the author of LarsBlog, a blog devoted to sharing his discoveries and travels as he researches the lost art of brewing in northern Europe. He lives with his wife and children in Rælingen, Norway.

Presale offer ends Mon., Apr. 13 at 5:00 p.m. MT.
Cannot be combined with other discounts or promotions.

Support small and independent publishers when you order directly from Brewers Publications.

Cheers,
Kristi Switzer
Publisher, Brewers Publications

P.S. We also have a sale going on for ALL Brewers Publications titles!
Kristi Switzer
Publisher, Brewers Publications

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Historical Brewing Techniques by Lars Garshol now available!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 05:21:21 pm »
Yup, i ran across his webpage recently which details a lot of his adventures.

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:07:15 am »
Lars is a remarkable guy.  I started talking about him in my seminars 20 years go.  He's got a lot of experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 08:47:53 pm »
Got my copy today.  Looks fascinating, and really attractively executed.  As almost exclusively a modern lager brewer, I'll never actually do any of this stuff, but I voraciously seek any knowledge I can get about brewing, and its history.  Great geek material.  It's probably all laid out in more detail in his blog (I can happily get lost there for hours,) and I know he's covered lots of areas there that aren't covered in the book, but this is a cool addition to my brewing bookshelf. On my first flip through the pages, I came across the answer to a question that came up in a conversation this weekend.  Thanks for the heads up on the member deal.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:29:22 pm »
Ordered  mine. Brewed my second beer using a Kveik blend. Loved the first one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:55 pm »
Lol, i am an old recluse in fact, when it comes to new beer stuff.

I ain't had no danged kveik yet.

So... it ferments in the 80s/90s... and it's clean???

What?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 08:07:29 am »

What?

I haven't had beers made with all the kviek strains, but none of the ones I've had is what I'd call clean
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 08:55:12 am »

What?

On a podcast the other day Matin Garshol talked about Norwegian Brewers fermenting at 40C.

The beers I've had can be a little estery. The one I brewed was rough at first, after several months in the back of the fridge it become something I drank a lot of. Maybe the esters complimented the pineapple from the Michigan grown Chinook, but it was yummy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »
I'm excited, my copy should come in the next few weeks, hopefully I can finish Janish's book.

Bootleg Biology's Oslo is supposed to be very clean at lower (70 F) temperatures, but I haven't tried it myself. I've tried Voss, Hothead, and Hornindal and I wouldn't call them clean, but I'd say they put out esters that compliment hops. My experience is that most Brewers use these strains with very hoppy beers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk