Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chamber  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Nick Garrod

• 1st Kit
Fermentation Chamber
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:55:22 pm »
I decided it was time for an upgrade to my fermentation chamber. I built the "Son of a Fermentor" about a year ago and, while it worked great, I wanted something that could hold two carboys and not require me to swap out ice jugs in an attempt to control the temperature.
To keep cost down I was able to reuse the foam and fan from the "Son of a Fermentor", I got the ac window unit for free, and used my bucket heater. To control everything I am using the Inkbird ITC-308. The frame is all 2x4 and the exterior is .25" plywood. The interior dimensions of the chamber are 24" x 36" and 30" tall. I used 2" and 1" foam to insulate things, and used spray foam to fill in all the gaps. I put wheels on the bottom when I realized that I wanted to be able to move it around without help from a few friends. Cost for all the parts that I already didn't have was about $175

The bottom frame
[/url]

Insulation installed

Frame for the chamber

Top and one side wall installed

Put first wall on wrong side...swapped and put two more walls on

All walls on and foam installed

Inside look of the ac unit. The openings above that are for a heating chamber I built. (pic below)

Door frame done and foam insulation installed on top

Here you can see where the ac unit is hiding. The frame above that is where I built a heat chamber. Air comes in on the right, gets warmed by the bucket warmer, and blown back in the chamber. I liked this setup because I'm not dealing with a heating element that gets really hot but can still warm things if needed.

Door is on. It's snug, but I'm willing to accept some leakage around the door.

A close up of the ac unit and fan for the heater coming into the chamber

Top wood is on and stain and paint are complete.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:42:27 pm »
That looks incredible!  Great job!  I wish I had the space for something like that.

Offline maltmechanic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:40:19 pm »
Looking like a nice set up. I built one a few years ago. One thing I would suggest is getting a CoolBot so you can cold crash/have cold storage of you want. It's been a nice addition. Here is what I came up with below

http://imgur.com/gallery/oqQE0mJ
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:20:24 pm by maltmechanic »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 05:31:43 am »
It was smart of you to put doors on so you don’t have to lift fermenters over the top.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.