Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CellarScience Cali  (Read 2005 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
CellarScience Cali
« on: April 17, 2020, 09:35:19 pm »
There is a new clean American Ale dry yeast available. This is tempting to me. I am a big fan of WLP001 and WY1056 but can’t handle the peach from US-05. I am looking forward to trying an alternative.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-cali-dry-yeast.html

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: CellarScience Cali
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 09:42:52 pm »
We've talked about the over saturation of breweries, have we or will we hit an over saturation of yeast companies? Is this a European company that's finally brewing into US homebrew? What's the point in another Cal ale yeast? I'm genuinely confused.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

CellarScience Cali
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:09:27 am »
I saw it the other day when paroosing the MoreBeer site.  It appears they’ve expanded their current business model of buying bulk material and repackaging it.  They do this with grain under the Brewmaster name and hops under the Artisan name as well as other product lines. 

The good news is it’s cheaper: 12 grams of Cali for $3.99 vs 11.5 grams of US-05 for $4.49.  Of course, I don’t know if it’s repacked -05 or not. Just a comparison they make on the description page.

The real savings comes in the 500g package. The price of their German yeast is ~half that of W34/70 in the larger package. Save ~$40 for the Cali vs -05. Buy in bulk, repackage and brand, pass the savings to the consumer.

From the Brewmaster site:

“Cellar Science takes the best winemaking and brewing products from across the world, and packages them in convenient sizes for you. Our yeast is packaged in a dedicated, state of the art room with HEPA filtration.  Chemicals and additives are packed in convenient sizes for 6 gallon or 60 gallon batches of wine, or efficient bulk sizes. We use custom designed oxygen, light, and moisture barrier bags for the best quality and shelf life.”

I believe Mangrove Jacks uses the same business model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:38:43 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

CellarScience Cali
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:14:33 am »
I saw it the other day when paroosing the MoreBeer site.  It appears they’ve expanded their current business model of buying bulk material and repackaging it.  They do this with grain under the Brewmaster name and hops under the Artisan name as well as other product lines. 

The good news is it’s cheaper: 12 grams of Cali for $3.99 vs 11.5 grams of US-05 for $4.49.  Of course, I don’t know if it’s repacked -05 or not. Just a comparison they make on the description page.

The real savings comes in the 500g package. The price of their German yeast is ~half that of W34/70 in the larger package. Save ~$40 for the Cali vs -05. Buy in bulk, repackage and brand, pass the savings to the consumer.

From the Brewmaster site:

“Cellar Science takes the best winemaking and brewing products from across the world, and packages them in convenient sizes for you. Our yeast is packaged in a dedicated, state of the art room with HEPA filtration.  Chemicals and additives are packed in convenient sizes for 6 gallon or 60 gallon batches of wine, or efficient bulk sizes. We use custom designed oxygen, light, and moisture barrier bags for the best quality and shelf life.”

I believe Mangrove Jacks uses the same business model.

Oh. Well then it’s probably repackaged US-05. I am not interested in that. I have gotten the peach flavor the last several times I’ve used US-05. Even in an APA I thought the peach was a distraction not a positive addition.

MJ M44 and Bry-97 both avoid the peach flavor. But there is a different mouth feel with WLP001. I have been thinking of buying a pack of liquid yeast and keeping and reusing slurries.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:17:09 am by tommymorris »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 10:48:32 am »
Does everyone get the "peach" from 05?  I've never noticed it but I've only ever used it in highly hopped beers so maybe it just got lost. 

I have it fermenting in an American Wheat that I'm hoping turns out clean and quaffable.  The plan was to use 001 but I couldn't get it in time thanks to my LHBS closing down for the quarantine.  The last time I made this beer it was so close to what I wanted but I was put off by a late addition of Sorachi Ace and its dill, dill, dill.

If this version ends up peachy..... >:(

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:12:03 am »
Does everyone get the "peach" from 05?  I've never noticed it but I've only ever used it in highly hopped beers so maybe it just got lost. 

I have it fermenting in an American Wheat that I'm hoping turns out clean and quaffable.  The plan was to use 001 but I couldn't get it in time thanks to my LHBS closing down for the quarantine.  The last time I made this beer it was so close to what I wanted but I was put off by a late addition of Sorachi Ace and its dill, dill, dill.

If this version ends up peachy..... >:(

I always do, which is why I stopped using it in favor of BRY 97
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »
I prefer Bry 97 as well. However, I understand if -05 is fermented warm the peach ester is subdued.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 12:30:07 pm »
I prefer Bry 97 as well. However, I understand if -05 is fermented warm the peach ester is subdued.

Wonder how warm?  I've gotten it in the 68-70 range

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:33:14 pm »
Personally, I think Fermentis needs to go back to the yeast bank and make a new withdrawal. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:37:13 pm »
Great. This is juuussssttt great. You guys have me really really looking forward to this beer I've got going.  ;D

Maybe a slice of lime in the glass might help. 🙄

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »
Personally, I think Fermentis needs to go back to the yeast bank and make a new withdrawal.

I know where Fermentis got the "seed" for 05, but I'm not free to say

www.dennybrew.com