Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Substitute for Viking Caramel Aromatic malt  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Substitute for Viking Caramel Aromatic malt
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:15:03 pm »
I have a beer that I have brewed a few times that uses a small amount of Viking Caramel Aromatic malt - 4 oz in 5 gallons. I have brewed without it and the beer is not the same, so I really would like to use it or something like it. Unfortunately, Viking no longer lists it on their website and MoreBeer now only sells it in 55 lb bags. Previously I could buy it by the pound. At 4 oz per batch and about 4 batches of this brew per year, a 55 lb bag would last me 55 years. That is long past the time that the malt, or me, would be viable!

What can I use as a substitute? It is listed as 60-75 L and aromatic. There must be some combination of readily available malts that can replicate this flavor, but I don't know what that would be. Any suggestions?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/malt-viking-caramel-aromatic-55-lb-sack.html
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Re: Substitute for Viking Caramel Aromatic malt
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 02:26:27 am »
At only 4 ounces, you may potentially be able to get by with Briess 60L or 80L caramel, or better yet, with one of the various UK crystal malts in the ballpark 65-75L range.

Weyermann's Caramunich 200 (200 EBC, or ~75L) may also work if you can find it.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:00:13 am »
   I've never used Viking aromatic, I have used both Dingeman's and Briess and to me they taste very different from each other, but more each other than they do from other 20L malts. I don't know that you are going to find a really good substitute.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:26:54 pm »
   I've never used Viking aromatic, I have used both Dingeman's and Briess and to me they taste very different from each other, but more each other than they do from other 20L malts. I don't know that you are going to find a really good substitute.
I believe that difference in taste is a result of the barley variety used to make the malt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 12:29:22 pm »
I believe that difference in taste is a result of the barley variety used to make the malt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree with that.  Barley variety makes a lot more difference than people often realize.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell