Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: M54 Cali Lager  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
M54 Cali Lager
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:18:10 pm »
Anyone care to provide information on this yeast from their experience? I just pitched it into 67F wort and the recommend temp range is 64-68. Plan is to keep it on the low end of that range and possibly go lower if it can.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: M54 Cali Lager
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
   This yeast was discussed some on the Lost in space thread, you might check it out. I've used it quite a bit, often in the mid to upper 50's. I don't use it anymore cuz I've decided the beers I used to brew with it taste better with US-05. M-54 isn't any more of a lager yeast than 05 or any of the other west coast ale yeasts, it's Sacc. C and not Sacc. Pastorianus.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:40:21 pm »
   This yeast was discussed some on the Lost in space thread, you might check it out. I've used it quite a bit, often in the mid to upper 50's. I don't use it anymore cuz I've decided the beers I used to brew with it taste better with US-05. M-54 isn't any more of a lager yeast than 05 or any of the other west coast ale yeasts, it's Sacc. C and not Sacc. Pastorianus.

Was having trouble following that thread. At some point I heard it was repackage mauribrew lager or something. I’m not worried about whether it’s sacc c or sacc p
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:43:13 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 07:43:43 am »
Started within 18 hours and is now at 64F. Will be bumping it down a bit closer to 60F. If it is Mauribrew lager (not pastorianus) yeast they list that range as 53F to 68F. After searching the interwebs I found a bunch of less than happy reviews of this yeast mainly pointing to really long lag times and just bad overall flavors. Long lag time wasn't an issue for me...

Offline BrewBama

M54 Cali Lager
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:52:48 am »
I’ve used it several times with hit and miss results. One time it’ll kick off quickly, another it’ll putter along. It never fails — just slower or faster. Weird.

I’ve had one batch with it that had an off flavor that I blamed on the yeast but later, after reviewing my notes, it may have actually been a loose nut between the stir spoon and brew kettle. I’ve had no other flavor issues outside that one time.

It clears beautifully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:55:36 am by BrewBama »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 07:58:58 am »
I’ve used it several times with hit and miss results. One time it’ll kick off quickly, another it’ll putter along. It never fails — just slower or faster. Weird.

I’ve had one batch with it that had an off flavor that I blamed on the yeast but later, after reviewing my notes, it may have actually been a loose nut between the stir spoon and brew kettle. I’ve had no other flavor issues outside that one time.

It clears beautifully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight. The main reason I'm using it is I couldn't source my preferred lager yeast so I decided just to try this. I am not expecting a "lager" per se but was just curious how it would compare. The hit and miss comment seems to match up with a lot of comments I saw. Some loved it and had good results while others would never use it again.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »
Used it in a Steam Beer homage - definitely worked well and combined with the Northern Brewer hops, it gave me the flavor profile I expected.  I don't recall if I immediately then followed up to make a true lager with it or not, but that would have been my regular MO for a yeast that I don't intend to put into regular rotation.  I usually want to get two beers out of it, to justify the expense and hassle of ordering something out of my typical strains.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 03:38:18 pm »
Used it in a Steam Beer homage - definitely worked well and combined with the Northern Brewer hops, it gave me the flavor profile I expected.  I don't recall if I immediately then followed up to make a true lager with it or not, but that would have been my regular MO for a yeast that I don't intend to put into regular rotation.  I usually want to get two beers out of it, to justify the expense and hassle of ordering something out of my typical strains.

Cheers!

Yeah I will be tossing my next batch onto this slurry although I not 100% sure I what I will be brewing. I view reusing the yeast pretty much exactly as you.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 08:24:51 am »
Very quick fermentation. Vessel was about 7F above ambient at its peak and activity started to slow considerably and dropped to 5F above ambient within 48 hours of pitching. It’s sitting at ambient temp now. Very impressed with the performance if nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:36:43 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 04:07:09 pm »
Beer is ready to keg and is at 1.012. Kind of strange to me. Super crisp at first then kind of moves to a mouth coating feel. Some residual sulfur left that I’m not crazy about. Conflicted on whether to use the slurry on my next batch or not.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 08:44:03 am »
Very interesting yeast in my experience so far. Works extremely fast with a thin krausen but is very stubborn to clear. Seems to accentuate minerality along with sulfur. I was going for something hoppy and crisp and pushed my SO4 well over 100 ppm and it is very apparent. Finishing up an APA with it now so curious to see how it turns out.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 07:03:54 am »
Nearly every time I've used Mangrove Jack's yeast I have under attenuation. It's ANNOYING. I've stopped using it for that reason. Aeration with pure o2, mashing low, even 100% DME hefeweizen...under attenuated beers... Go back to Panama, Jack...
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 06:05:44 pm »
After two back to back batches with this yeast I have come to the conclusion that it sucks. Won’t be using it again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 08:12:57 am »
After two back to back batches with this yeast I have come to the conclusion that it sucks. Won’t be using it again.

I have to admit that's been my impression of MJ yeasts in general
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell