Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Ideas  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Nick Wojcik

• 1st Kit
Kegerator Ideas
« on: May 01, 2020, 07:23:00 pm »
Amongst children and saving for a new house, I do someday hope to build a kegerator. Hoping somebody could send me a good step by step link as I'm not the crafty-est of people either so need the dumbed down version to make it happen!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kegerator Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 07:34:51 pm »
https://youtu.be/zHWy_Vlw3J4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:30:51 am »
I think the first step is to decide what kind of volume of beer (# of kegs and taps for simultaneous availability) you need to manage. That will drive the size of the unit. Then some choices on how you will use it. If it's a showpiece for your family and friends, then that can drive the type of tower, faucets, other bling. I personally just wanted to have cold storage for cold crashing, carbonation and be able to have homebrew and seltzer on tap easily. I did not want to spend $450-550 for a store-bought unit. With a little research and patience, I found a nice used wine refrigerator on craigslist for $80 that had a real compressor (not thermo-electric) would fit a 5 and 2.5 gal corny. I added a $30 Inkbirk supplemental temperature controller for better control. I was going to cut a hole in the top and add a tower faucet and the necessary anti-foam fan but decided that just having a picnic tap was fine and less mess to manage and clean.

I suppose if I had not had the gas bottle, regulator, other fittings and wanted a dual tap tower, then finding a new kegerator ready to go (maybe on sale these days) would have been a compelling low hassle option for a little more money.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »
I think the first step is to decide what kind of volume of beer (# of kegs and taps for simultaneous availability) you need to manage. That will drive the size of the unit.

+1 to this.  I have a friend with a small kegerator built for a commercial half barrel.  I've been trying to get him and his dad into homebrewing.  His dad recently made a batch of mead and I told him they need to build a new kegerator/keezer so it can be tapped.  The first thing I told him was to think about was what he wants to put in it.  Everything about the kegerator or keezer can pretty much be adjusted, but the physical size is fixed.

My keezer fits 3 corny kegs.  I wish I could get a fourth in it, but not happening.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 04:36:25 pm »
You could find a used mini fridge preferably without a freezer and get some 5 gal corny kegs. Get a one or two tap draft tower and you are off to the races. Plus you can use the fridge for temp control with your fermenter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk