Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA Formulation  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Carson B

• Cellarman
Black IPA Formulation
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:46:13 pm »
Here's my first go at a black IPA recipe. As it may or not be apparent, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing being it the first try. I'm shooting for pitch black, not any shade of brown. This will be a 3-gallon batch (included for hop rate purposes). I have a ton of centennial and chinook, so that's what this'll be.

2-row               82%
Midnight wheat 10%
Crystal 60          4%
Rye malt            4%

Warrior       0.25 oz 60 min
Centennial  0.25 oz 15 min
Chinook      0.25 oz 15 min
Centennial  0.50 oz 5 min
Chinook      0.50 oz 5 min
Centennial  0.50 oz FO
Chinook      0.50 oz FO
Centennial  1.5 oz DH 4 days
Chinook      1.5 oz DH 4 days

Beersmith predicts this to be about 90 IBUs, 50 SRM, and 1.070 OG. I'm specifically looking for feedback on (1) best grain for coloring and what percentage. I chose midnight wheat for body and because it won't contribute too much roastiness. I've used it at 10% in dark saisons with success. I'm wondering if anyone would rather sub in something like a BlackPrinz or Carafa Special III and why. (2) Hop timing. Figured I'd get most of my bitterness from the warrior 60 min addition, but am unsure about the flavor/aroma additions.

Any help would be awesome!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:49:26 pm by Carson B »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Black IPA Formulation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 10:46:45 am »
What’s the estimated color? Personally I use enough roasted malt to get the color dark enough but not darker than it needs to be. I don’t like an overly roasty bipa though and like to keep roasted grains under 10%. Midnight wheat or carafa special are good choices. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:51:10 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Carson B

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 04:26:13 pm »
Included in the body: 50 SRM. I know that may seem excessive, but like I said, I've brewed with 10% midnight wheat with good success. Not too much roast, and I do want this to be pitch black. I've found Beersmith predictions are a bit light, to my eye at least. Any insight on difference between the wheat and carafa in this recipe?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 04:45:03 pm »
Included in the body: 50 SRM. I know that may seem excessive, but like I said, I've brewed with 10% midnight wheat with good success. Not too much roast, and I do want this to be pitch black. I've found Beersmith predictions are a bit light, to my eye at least. Any insight on difference between the wheat and carafa in this recipe?

Sorry missed the 50 SRM. I don’t worry as long as my color is in the upper 20s. If you like 10% midnight wheat than just do it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 04:28:14 pm »
I have brewed a lot of black IPA and I have strong opinions on the subject. First of all, in the amounts needed, even the least roasty dark malts will give plenty of flavor. That means you really really want to use the gentlest-tasting roast malts (Carafa Special II or III, Midnight Wheat or Blackprinz). Shooting for 50 SRM is pointless. There is no difference between 40 SRM and 50 SRM. Frankly, I shoot for 35-40 and it is pitch black. Here's my usual malt bill (it varies, but this is basically it):

80% 2-row
6% Munich
6% C-40
8% Carafa Special III (added at sparge)

The technique I use it to sparge a little cooler than usual (maybe 150F) and add the dark malt then. I batch sparge, so really I add the dark malt right as I begin to runoff the first runnings, then I add the sparge water, give it a stir and about 2 minutes, then run it off into the kettle.

Another consideration: all that roast malt will increase perceived bitterness. I bitter my IPA about 15-20 IBUs less than I would want if it weren't black. In this beer, I would bitter it to no more than 60 IBUs, assuming standard AIPA strength, and expect it to taste like 80 IBUs because of the dark malt.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 09:18:21 pm »
If you want to keep the roasted flavors to a minimum, you could try a cold steep method.  I used this when I was doing a Burton Ale and wanted to get some color.  I just boiled a little water to make sure it was clear of anything.  Brought it down to room temp.  Crushed the grain (I was using Black Patent) and added it to the water.  Covered the pot and let it sit at room temp over night.  The next day I strained the liquid right into the boil when there was about 10 minutes left.